Thinking about losing the 4.10s and going w/ 4.30s

UDTBadkarma said:
:lock: Lock this thread, bunch of lunitics in here :rlaugh:

4.30s?! 4.56s1?!? You guys are nuts lol

And helty, if you are worried about high RPMs while driving, 4.30s aren't goign to be much over 4.10s. And 4.10s on the highway are overkill if you ask me.

Here, let me show you something. I cruise on the highway at 80mph sometimes more sometimes less...this is my reason why i am going with 3.73s this summer and NOT anything else. I commute on the highway to school every day about 20 miles plus i visit my long distance relationship, girlfriend in VERMONT almost every other weekend. So as you can see below driving at high rpms would say bye bye to my gas milage. I probably SHOULD go with 3.55s, but thast a :taco: gear, so im going with 3.73s LOL. Hope this chart below helps you out. And this is why i think you are nuts for going with 4.30s on a daily driver:
Contrary to what you might believe 4.10's, and 4.30's still will give you 24+mpg. I have gotten 25 mpg with mine. Many people fear the gear and assume with steeper gears mileage goes down. Biggest misconception there is with them. I know several that drive the highway to commute and have no problems with 4.10's.

Hope that helps you. As you can see with 4.30s, depending on when you trap at the track. You WILL need to shift into 5th...which is probably going to be annoying.
Actually you wont be shifting into 5th gear at all. With stock tires you will be right at the top of 4th in your peak power. Right where you want to be.

• Sponsors (?)

oh you're looking at it like THAT huh. Sounds like you're just too lazy to shift around town, thats why you're getting better gas mileage with your 4.10s. Becasue your too lazy to shift with stock gears and you're bogging. Just downshift with your stock gears, sheehs.

Yes now i believe YOU are getting better gas milage around town, because you are a lazy shifter :p

UDTBadkarma said:
Technically, get a grandma...let her drive 100 miles on the highway in 5th gear at 80mph in a GT with 3.27 stock gears.... then put that same grandma, in a GT with 4.10s same conditions...

You will see the car with 3.27s will get better gas mileage. No denying that. 3.73s, 4.10s, 4.30s...they all keep you in higher RPMs in whatever gear your in, over the stock 3.27s. You really CANT get better gas mileage with 4.10s than you can with 3.27s. No way. higher RPMs = more gas burned.

Now...you might be able to get better gas mileage with your 4.10s than say me with my stock gears...but thats just because maybe i have a heavier foot with my 3.27s than you do with your 4.10s. BUT since you say that YOU get better gas milage with your 4.10s than YOu driving ur car with 3.27s...well thats not possible. Unless you became more reserved with your driving style after u got 4.10s all of a sudden.

bototm line, steeper gears will suck down more gas IN COMPARISON to stock gears. Only way to enhance your gas milage would be to go with 2.90 gears...which came on a rare few of 96-98 GT 5spds.

I am sorry but you are really confused. Just because you turn more rpms doesnt mean you suck more gas per say. 4th and 5th gears are more usable and you don't need to downshift which is where you really burn the gas.
When I had my stock gears i would get about 230-245 miles to the tank. With the 4.30's I have gotten 300.

Bob Cosby got over 21mpg with his 99 cobra and 4.88's

Then again who the heck buys a Mustang for gas mileage?:shrug:

blackfang said:
Actually you wont be shifting into 5th gear at all. With stock tires you will be right at the top of 4th in your peak power. Right where you want to be...

:scratch: how do you figure?

Look at my example table above. @ 105mph in 4th gear with 4.30s, you are at 5,909 RPM. Thats just over red line in the GT. Thats not "peak power" range.... Peak power range in a GT is at like 5,500 where you really should be shifting. Different mods and tunes will change this of course, like cams, etc.

UDTBadkarma said:
oh you're looking at it like THAT huh. Sounds like you're just too lazy to shift around town, thats why you're getting better gas mileage with your 4.10s. Becasue your too lazy to shift with stock gears and you're bogging. Just downshift with your stock gears, sheehs.

Yes now i believe YOU are getting better gas milage around town, because you are a lazy shifter :p
:rlaugh:
That is the stupidest excuse ever to come from a Mustang owner and I expect that from the stupid honda owners. I get better mpg is because I dont need to use 3rd as much. I can still pass in 4th and 5th gear and the car doesnt bog at all on the highway.

I got 4.30 gears for my cobra because I want all out performance. Not because I am lazy to shift. If I wanted to feel lazy, I would drive my Z/28 as thats an auto.

:nice:

blackfang said:
I am sorry but you are really confused. Just because you turn more rpms doesnt mean you suck more gas per say. 4th and 5th gears are more usable and you don't need to downshift which is where you really burn the gas.
When I had my stock gears i would get about 230-245 miles to the tank. With the 4.30's I have gotten 300.

Bob Cosby got over 21mpg with his 99 cobra and 4.88's

Then again who the heck buys a Mustang for gas mileage?:shrug:

Well for me, i dont want 4.10s. With 4.10s, my short shifter and drag radials, i'll be snapping an axel sooner or later :rlaugh:

blackfang said:
:rlaugh:
That is the stupidest excuse ever to come from a Mustang owner and I expect that from the stupid honda owners. I get better mpg is because I dont need to use 3rd as much. I can still pass in 4th and 5th gear and the car doesnt bog at all on the highway.

I got 4.30 gears for my cobra because I want all out performance. Not because I am lazy to shift. If I wanted to feel lazy, I would drive my Z/28 as thats an auto.

:nice:

I wasn't talking to you, was talking to helty, and i was just messing around with him. :)

I dont really care about gas milage, just was wondering how helty figures he gets better gas with his 4.10s than his 3.27s which didn't make any sense to me

I swear you 4.10 owners sound like a cult!!! You're all ganging up on me now! hahahaha

You better stop all this 4.10 talk or you'll be having me re-think my 3.73s for 4.10s for the *8th* time now. LOL Stay away from me you damn 4.10 owners!

UDTBadkarma said:
:scratch: how do you figure?

Look at my example table above. @ 105mph in 4th gear with 4.30s, you are at 5,909 RPM. Thats just over red line in the GT. Thats not "peak power" range.... Peak power range in a GT is at like 5,500 where you really should be shifting. Different mods and tunes will change this of course, like cams, etc.
Show me a stock 96-04 GT that traps over 105 mph in the 1/4? Many of your small bolt on GT's such as catback, pullies or midpipe wont hit past 103.

I have seen it with buddies cars at the track. Also if you are modded enough to where you are trapping over 105, get a 28" drag tire and that solves the issue.

UDTBadkarma said:
Well for me, i dont want 4.10s. With 4.10s, my short shifter and drag radials, i'll be snapping an axel sooner or later :rlaugh:
Gears don't break the axle. You can snap an axle with 3.27's just as much as with 4.10's. The amount of Horsepower, + stickier tires= failed 28 spline rear. The gears dont cause it.

blackfang said:
Show me a stock 96-04 GT that traps over 105 mph in the 1/4? Many of your small bolt on GT's such as catback, pullies or midpipe wont hit past 103.

I have seen it with buddies cars at the track. Also if you are modded enough to where you are trapping over 105, get a 28" drag tire and that solves the issue.

Dude, i didn't say STOCK. I clearly said in the post that with 4.30s you'll have to switch into 5th depending on what you are trapping at. Meaning if you have 4.30s and lots of mods, you're going to trap around 105 or maybe more with hefty mods, so...

UDTBadkarma said:
I wasn't talking to you, was talking to helty, and i was just messing around with him. :)

I dont really care about gas milage, just was wondering how helty figures he gets better gas with his 4.10s than his 3.27s which didn't make any sense to me

I swear you 4.10 owners sound like a cult!!! You're all ganging up on me now! hahahaha

You better stop all this 4.10 talk or you'll be having me re-think my 3.73s for 4.10s for the *8th* time now. LOL Stay away from me you damn 4.10 owners!
I am not a 4.10 owner so dont associate me with them:D

blackfang said:
Gears don't break the axle. You can snap an axle with 3.27's just as much as with 4.10's. The amount of Horsepower, + stickier tires= failed 28 spline rear. The gears dont cause it.

Now that is an interesting comment. You are aware your gears "amplify" your torque, like when you are launching the car right?

I think the torque ratiosis something like 300ft/lbs of torque in a gt x 3.3 drive gear for the trans in 1st gear x your gear ratio (3.27, 3.73, etc)

So a stock geared car is putting down an amplified torque of: 300 x 3.3 x 3.27 = 3,237ft/lb. The reason for this being the car weighing 3,241 lbs. So thats is why high gears help "accelerate" the car more. Here is the same thing with 3.55 gears: 300 x 3.3 x 3.55 = 3,515ft/lbs

Watch 4.10 gears: 300 x 3.3 x 4.10 = 4,059ft/lbs

UDTBadkarma said:
Dude, i didn't say STOCK. I clearly said in the post that with 4.30s you'll have to switch into 5th depending on what you are trapping at. Meaning if you have 4.30s and lots of mods, you're going to trap around 105 or maybe more with hefty mods, so...
Like I said in the past post. A midly bolt on GT will still be under 105 mph. If you have serious bolt ons and trap over it go with a bigger drag radial

UDTBadkarma said:

yeah, downshift and turn a higher rpm which would defeat the entire purpose of getting better gas-mileage. :rolleyes: You just completely contradicted yourself!

Listen, I have 4.10s, you dont. I know how they act around town and I got better gas mileage than my 3.27s when I was breaking in the 4.10s in bc I didnt get on it much. Get your 3.73s and enjoy them :nice: And one more time:
helty said:
Im not overly concerned with gas mileage anyway, I mean c'mon, I drive a V8.

And as far as the redline thing goes, I wont be using stock tire sizes. Here you go: http://tchracing.com/tech/gearcalc....&givenval=105&givenvaltype=MPH&selectedgear=4

Hope that calculator is right, I'll be right where I want to be :nice:

NO MORE GAS MILEAGE TALK IN MY THREAD! :mad:

Im going with 4.30s, Moser/FRPP 31 Splines, an FRPP Trac-Loc/Detroit True-Trac, and 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson ET Drags! Thats final damnit! :nice:

UDTBadkarma said:
Now that is an interesting comment. You are aware your gears "amplify" your torque, like when you are launching the car right?
Yes but they dont cause the axle to break. It is the weak 28 spline axles, diff. and tires. I have seen 3.55 geared mach 1's break an axle due to the fact they had ET streets.

BTW my buddy traped 105 in his 02 GT w/ 4.30 gears and never shifted into 5th at all. BTW the redline is 6250;)

blackfang said:
Yes but they dont cause the axle to break. It is the weak 28 spline axles, diff. and tires. I have seen 3.55 geared mach 1's break an axle due to the fact they had ET streets.

BTW my buddy traped 105 in his 02 GT w/ 4.30 gears and never shifted into 5th at all. BTW the redline is 6250;)

:scratch: 6,250??? ummm the redline on the tack clearly says 5,800 alongw ith everythign else i've ever seen.... is his car tuned differently, or has cams?

Are you a mechanic? Just wondering where you are getting yoru information from

UDTBadkarma said:
:scratch: 6,250??? ummm the redline on the tack clearly says 5,800 alongw ith everythign else i've ever seen.... is his car tuned differently, or has cams?

Are you a mechanic? Just wondering where you are getting yoru information from
Lets say I work in the automotive field, and drag race as a hobby. I also tend to listen and learn from those that know.