Thinking about making a purchase...

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Chicagoland
So for the hell of it, I was looking around on autotrader.com and found some pretty nice New Edge Mustangs. On there, I found a nice silver 01 Cobra with 32k miles for $16,800. Blue book says it's worth $16,900, but I think I could probably low-ball them a little because it's got a BBK off road X on it and IL requires emissions on 96 and newer, so I should hopefully be able to knock the price of a factory H off the asking price. Otherwise, it looks pretty good. It's stock with the exception of the X pipe and SLP Loudmouth cat-back. What do you guys think, offer up say... $14,500 and go from there? I don't really wanna low-ball too much (I know a stock H doesn't cost $2300), but the price is basically blue book now, so I'd still like to get under that a bit. Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

$14,500 sounds fair. I never like to pay asking price for a used car. (Never bought a new one, but I wouldn't pay asking price for that either.) You can always low-ball the seller. The worst he can do is come back with an offer that's better for him. If he's serious about selling the car, he won't be too offended for long. ;)

It's at a dealer, so I'm not too worried about them being offended by me low-balling them. Hell, I might start at $13k, just for the hell of it. Here's the pics:

cobra1.jpg

cobra2.jpg

cobra3.jpg

cobra4.jpg

cobra5.jpg

cobra6.jpg

cobra7.jpg

cobra8.jpg

cobra9.jpg

wow i have never been able to shave 3k off of a vehicle at a dealership...there all too tight assed..... i think the best i got was getting it for listed price out the door....since tags title registration and tax are exrta i shaved some off but not much....when i was selling my f150 i had a guy offer me half of my asking price and he was serious ...that kinda pissed me off lol

Ya! I wouldn't go for half of asking price. I usually wheel and deal for about 25% off asking price, out the door. (I write checks for the purchase, most of the time.) I bought the my 94 GT at a used Mazda dealership. They were asking $7900. I got it for $5400, out the door.

I would start that Cobra at $12,000 or $12,500, since it's a dealership. You'll get it for around $13k, I'd say. It's a super nice car. I would nit pick ANY flaw. (Whether you can live with it or not...I told the dealership that I would have to put an exhaust system on the GT because it wasn't "original". It had an American Thunder cat-back on it!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA! They went for it.)

Nice find. Go for it!!!!

That's not a bad deal at all, as long as everything looks, sounds, and runs good.

If they'll bite on the lower amount, that might leave you some room for springs and new wheels/tires.

Was it the 99 or 2001 Cobras that had the horsepower related recall? If it was 01, then you may want to verify if that was done. I think the recall fix added the 15 to 20 ponies it was missing.

Matt, just make sure the car will have enough pizzaz (however it's spelled) for you. I've generally had kinda non-mainstream lookin stuff and it matches my personality. I don't think I could do a newer stang or cobra (even if I could afford it, which I can't). The exception is the Terminator because it was the zenith of Late model Stangs to me.

But if you need something nice and reliable, well she looks clean and should not need maintenance. :nice:

Best of luck with the decision.

Well, I don't think I'm getting it after all. The deal on the car is that it's a personal car of one of the employees who's doing basically a consignment deal through his work, and there's pretty much no flexibility on the price. Looks like I'll just look around and see if I can find something else, or I'll just stick with already having two cars, and not adding a third to my collection. Plus I still have my bike, too, so insuring everything is enough money out of pocket without adding another car payment. I just got out of having one of those a few months ago when I paid off the DD with my tax return, and I have to admit it's been nice not having one.

To be honest man, I'm kind of glad you're not getting that car.

There's nothing to it.

It's nice, but bland... run of the mill... and for $16K
You could get something that has a lot more presence.

it's all about presence.

yeah or change the ehxaust and that would be lame ....

and i know about adding cars to the lot and payments it sucks i have 4 at my house and the lady said thats all we can get if we want something new we gotta sell something first :(

I believe they can get away with selling it with modified exhaust because it's a consignment. The car is bland though, but I was already running ideas through my head about 03 Cobra bumpers, different hoods, different paint scheme, etc, so it definitely would have had presence, at least visually for the time being. Whether or not it would have gotten any power upgrades really depends on if I could afford them, but for what it costs to work on a 4.6, let alone the DOHC version, that probably would have been down the road quite a ways. Ah well, it was nice to live in my fantasy world for a couple days, but it's still nice having no car payment. :)

Now when you come across that special Saleen or something along those lines, well then you'd be good to go. :nice: That might be a time to consider a car payment IMHO.
I'm sure you wouldnt want something like that but if you had to drive one, well you could make it work. :D

they look a million times better ...im not 100% performance i have a family i got to tote around...if i want to make big power i could get a s/c for it and be right there with the terminator if i wanted down the road....and they come in auto's so my fiance could drive it....it just seems like a better all around car for me...and i think the styling of them can not be beat i love the really high hood and then the shaker sticking up past that.... the only thing the termy has going is its power and like i said i have my 93 for performance if i need it i want this for everything else