Thinking about selling Mustang.....opinions on why I should or shouldn't

Well I'm pissed off at the damn car now. Installed the ProCharger no problem. 1 1/2 months later I blow a header gasket on the driver side. Have a buddy fix it and find out that 3 of the 8 threads are completely stripped and it looked like it already had helicoils on them. (longtubes were installed before I bought the car). And now the car sounds like more ass than before and it's dumping all kinds of fuel into the engine. I don't know if the A/F is messed up or what. It had a leak before with no fuel problems and now the car won't even go above 50mph or 3,000 rpms and I burned a 1/4 tank of gas trying to drive about 17 miles. I'm ready to sell the car and pawn it off to someone else who wants to take on this work since I'm stationed in a small ass town with no sort of quality shop or someone with good experience on this. What do ya'll think? Anyone want to take this project on?

• Sponsors (?)

Like Kilgore says...

If you sell it be sure to be honest about it's problems. It's the right thing to do. If you could afford to make it a hobby car then put her up and get to work fixing everything.

Hate to hear about a pony that's been beat to death... :(

For one, it has not been modded into an early grave. It has been kept up the whole time, crap just starting going wrong with it. It was dyno'd right after the supercharger install and I've done almost everything myself except for the exhaust since that was already on over two years ago. Maybe the guy I bought it from did a crappy install of the longtubes and the forced induction was all it took for it to blow out the studs. I don't know. The only cost effective and smart choice would be to go ahead and get the short block for it but I don't have that kind of cash right now. That wasn't planned for about another year and half. Just running out of options in this small ass town up here in North Dakota. Wouldn't be a problem if I was in a bigger city like I hoped coming back from Germany.

spdfrkaby said:
1 1/2 months later I blow a header gasket on the driver side.
The only cost effective and smart choice would be to go ahead and get the short block for it but I don't have that kind of cash right now.

I'm confused?.... or maybe just missed something this morning.

Why do you need a complete short block? Would it be possible to replace the the driver side head if the threads couldn't be fixed for the header?

Or.....Do you mean you blew a head gasket and now the threads in the block for the head are stripped?:shrug:

Yes the threads in the block itself that bolt the header to the engine are stripped. The buddy who changed the exhaust said it looked liked the block was already helicoiled. Would you be able to re-helicoil a previously helicoiled hole? Don't know too much about helicoils.

I suggest quit being a Nancy, Why make a thread asking people to encourage you to keep your mustang. Just do what you want if you like the car then fix it and if you dont like the car then get rid of it. Every mustang has problems they are fords, people who love the car fix the problems have a blast and have more problems from having a blast but continue to fix the crud because they love the mustang its a weird feeling to have a mustang nothing like it. But Dont ask people to say noooo keepp the mussstanngggg wha wha. make your own decision.

spdfrkaby said:
Yes the threads in the block itself that bolt the header to the engine are stripped.

Ok I'm starting to understand.
or Maybe I have a misunderstanding of how the headers are bolted to the engine....

The headers are bolted to the head and the head is bolted to the block. So, the problem is with the threads in the head and not with the block.

- I also have no experience with helicoils but I'm sure someone here can tell you if it can be re-done. I would try helicoil first and if that doesn't work explore your remaining options (possibly a "new" used head)

- As far as my knowledge goes, a new shortblock would not fix your current problem.

Kuestone said:
I suggest quit being a Nancy, Why make a thread asking people to encourage you to keep your mustang. Just do what you want if you like the car then fix it and if you dont like the car then get rid of it. Every mustang has problems they are fords, people who love the car fix the problems have a blast and have more problems from having a blast but continue to fix the crud because they love the mustang its a weird feeling to have a mustang nothing like it. But Dont ask people to say noooo keepp the mussstanngggg wha wha. make your own decision.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? If you don't like the thread, then don't ****ing read it. What is it with people who act like someone just wasted their precious time with a thread they thought was crappy. Not like the topic sentence wasn't descriptive enough.

Craiger77 said:
Ok I'm starting to understand.
or Maybe I have a misunderstanding of how the headers are bolted to the engine....

The headers are bolted to the head and the head is bolted to the block. So, the problem is with the threads in the head and not with the block.

- I also have no experience with helicoils but I'm sure someone here can tell you if it can be re-done. I would try helicoil first and if that doesn't work explore your remaining options (possibly a "new" used head)

- As far as my knowledge goes, a new shortblock would not fix your current problem.

Yea thats exactly what i was thinking, every part of it actually. If you have a problem with the headers, they aren't attached to the short block at all. Sounds like your problem could be fixed fairly easily, unless i'm missing something....:shrug:

Kuestone said:

This man speaks truth in his words. Amen brother:nice:

I agree you can listen to everyones' opnions but, in the
end please make your own decision.
Here is a idea trade your Mustang in for a brand new
06 Subaru STI and don't look back if you can afford it.

sounds like all you need is a new head.:shrug: just get som ported heads and blower cams to replace them. yes its expensive but you will make some good power.

with all the money people drop into mustangs why wouldnt he be able to buy an sti? i could have bought any car i wanted with all the cash spent on my stang.