Thinking about underdrive pulleys..

I ran the 3" crank pulley all the time with not problems. Along with the other U/D's the alt didn't even start to charge until about 1700rpm, and that's a 3G 160A unit.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running the Ford Racing Pulleys as well, with a Powermaster Alt, Kenwood amp & deck. When I first start the car I have to rev the engine up to 3000rpm. If I don't all the dash lights and head lights will be dim until it goes above 3000.

93tealstang said:
Without running a bigger water pump pulley, I'd think there wouldn't be much gain with your setup since your not really reducing anything to make power. It does seem logical since your not loosing colling or charging abilities but how much of gain do you think it might be worth over a full set of underdrives?
When you run a bigger water pump pulley you are slowing it down twice. Once from the crank pulley and once again with a bigger water pump pulley. The difference between the two water pump pulleys is minimal. All the other pulleys are still spinning slower. Difference between my setup and a full set of underdrives 2 to 3 hp.......and never having charging or cooling problems.

Sleeper's right - it's mentioned earlier in the thread. Smaller DRIVEN pulleys (alt/pumps) speed the accessory up. Larger DRIVEN pulleys, slow the accessory down. A smaller drive pulley combined with a larger water pump pulley REALLY slows the water pump down.

i've got the march steel pulleys on my car.i've got the proform electric fan with a 3ga alt. conversion.i don't have any heating or charging problems but i don't have a/c or cruise or a mega watt stereo either.i did feel a little gain in hp and quicker revs.

I have BBK underdrive pullies. When the car is running if I have it idling, with the lights, stereo & **** on I notice a small voltage drop but If I rev it it goes back to normal, idling with just the radio on I don't see any noticeable difference in voltage.

I installed BBK's aluminum pulleys a couple of months ago. The only thing I questioned about BBK's pulleys when I got them was that the water pump pulley doesn't have a lip on either side to keep the belt from slipping off. I haven't had a problem with it yet so I guess the belt's tension keeps this from happening.

I have noticed some charging problems while at idle and that's with a 140 amp alternator, and Optima red top battery. In fact, I had to jump start the car on several occasions after working on it for a period of time including after adjusting my headlights.

I noticed the car doesn't like to idle for any length of time in traffic so what I do is shift into neutral and slightly press the gas pedal to keep the charge up.

Other than that I definitely noticed a mild pickup in hp. The car also revs faster and seems a bit more responsive when I jump on it.

I'm thinking about throwing on an alternator overdrive pulley to correct the charging problem but otherwise, I'm keeping the rest of it on my car.

Michael Yount said:
Uh - with a reverse rotation pump, the BACK of the serpentine drives the water pump, not the ribbed part. I've not seen one with a lip to keep the belt on. Mine's factory -- no lip.

That's strange. My stock pulley which came off my 87 has the lip on each side. This is what caught my attention when installing the BBK set. I've also seen the pulley from another manufacturer which has the lip on each side.

:shrug:

My U/D pullley for the water pump has a lip on it...but my stocker didn't. Its not like the belt is just going to jump off the water pump pulley anyways, i dont think its anything to worry about. All the other pulleys are "lipped" with the belt grooves in contact with the pulley, i dont think the belt will easily come out of alignment or jump off.

I installed BBK aluminum pulleys on my 92 LX before. They looked nice, were lighter, gave the car a litle power, for some reason cooled the car down and actually gave it better gas mileage. The lights did dim at idle but it was OK they went back to normal when I hit the gas. I wasn't running a stereo, however.

I have Brother's aluminum pullies on mine and an EBrock water pump and a stock alternator. I like Brothers cause I keep a stock belt. I like aluminum cause it keeps a little weight off. I do have an Optimal battery. No cooling problems with my three row radiator. I cant come to a stop with or without the wippers on with or without the fan on any speed without all the dash lights dimming big time. Other than that it is great and does work for a little more HP.

underdrives

I just put on a set of the bbk aluminum pulleys that I got from Brother's. I had an alternator shop upgrade my stock alternator to 90 amps.The stock gauge dips down at idle, but goes back up with any throtle. The directions that came with the pulleys said that they should not affect your charging. I did notice a little power gain. I'll see if my mileage increases.

pulleys give a small gain. nothing real big. i noticed the car revved a little faster and felt less restricted. i had some charging issues so i put the stock alt pulley back on. it charges fine now. but the gains are still there since the majority of the UD is bc of the crank pulley spinning everything slower. the alt pulley doesnt really make much of a difference.

i cheaped out and got the ebay pulley kit. for 40 $ much cheaper than the big brands. and work just fine. i dont see the point in spending the money the big guys cost. a pulley is a pulley.

mine were 40$ and looked great and were black and i have ran them for almost a year and they still look awesome. once of the best 40$ i've spent so far.

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Ive been there but there is like 3 different sets for a fox.
If you want to buy from ASP buy the 4 inch crank pulley for $49.95 part# ASP520100 and buy the overdrive alternator pulley for $19.95 part# ASP520004

Just keep the stock water pump pulley and you will be fine.