Thinking of buying a 99 GT

syphon0202

Feb 8, 2011
I am thinking of buying a 99 GT (not LE). The car has around 100k miles on it and is selling for $6000. I was just wondering if:

A) This is a good price

B) The car will keep running for another few years. I don't want it to break down on me in a year.

Thanks for your input. Also, the description says it has "BOOST gauges." In the pictures the car has two gauges mounted on the upper door frame by the driver... Thanks again for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

1) I will likely be driving it ~10 miles every weekday, with most of the driving on weekends. On weekends I will probably be driving it pretty hard, not far distances, just lots of driving for fun. I was looking at mustangs because they are powerful for their price range and break free easily.

2)My budget tops out around $7000. I am planning on selling my '03 eclipse gt to get a different car.

Well these things are fairly reliable cars. I've owned two and never had a mechanical issue with either of them. One thing to look at is the coolant crossover on the intake manifold. They are prone to cracking is they have not been replaced with one with an aluminum crossover. The price seems reasonable, although I would see what KBB lists them at, as well as what they are going for on autotrader.

And if you want bang for your buck and not dead set on a mustang, see what 98-02 Camaro's and Firebirds are going for. Probably be tough to find many going for under $7k but its worth a shot. I'll get burnt for this but truth is these 2V motors don't hold a candle to the LS1's stock for stock, mod for mod.

Flame away Stangnet, flame away.

The boost gauges would have me worried. That is a little high for a 12-13 year old car with 100k. I might keep looking. If it has a boost gauge, then it was supercharged before.

Alright, thanks for your input, I will just keep searching around for another car. I have just been looking around craigslist and autotrader.com for the most part, any suggestions of better places to search?

FYI this is not a car I plan on modding, just driving and maintaining. It also doesn't have to be that powerful, I was driving my roomates 06' mustang (non gt) the other day and that was just fine. I would be happy with my eclipse right now if the car wasn't front wheel drive.

If your looking locally at CL or autotrader or whatnot. Give a us link next time. Many of us know exactly what to look for in a bolton/unmodified or heavily modified Mustang and if they are in the correct range. If it sounds like the person doesn't know what they are talking about, then we could sure be able to check from the listing and their pictures!

Let me use an example:

!!!!!1998 AMAZING Mustang Cobra!!!!! = Bad seller, doesn't know anything and has extremely bad taste

vs.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0 5spd =seems to know what is done to the car, types in real English too!

Too much cash. I would look for a newer one, maybe 03 or 04 if I were you. You should be able to get one with that budget. Actually, I'd save up a bit longer and get a Mach 1 like the one my neighbor just bought.:nice:

I'm not really sure where the rest of these guys are seeing 03-04 mustangs for $6000. But I bought my 99 GT last year as a poor college student. I went and looked at it when it was listed as $6000 because it was the first 99+ mustang for that price. Every other mustang I saw around that price were 94-98 with well over 100k miles. The 99 I bought had 103k on it and we managed to talk the guy down to $5000 because I think he trusted my ownership of the car over someone elses. I don't know if high mustang prices are just a Texas thing but I think thats a pretty good deal to at least go and check out. Give it a good lookover and make sure it doesn't drive like crap. Then give it at least a few hours to think about everything you noticed about it and see if you can get the price down. If it's a decent car but you find a few problems, point them out and see if you can get the price lower.

I'm not really sure where the rest of these guys are seeing 03-04 mustangs for $6000. But I bought my 99 GT last year as a poor college student.

But you owned a '97 Viper GTS???

I don't think either of those is a boost gauge. I'd guess water temp and oil pressure.

It looks like a decent car, but I'd try to bring the price down somewhere in the lower 5k range. You could go up a year or two and have similar or a little less mileage without breaking the 7k mark... at least in my area.

That car is in Greenville... are you upstate as well? I'm in Myrtle Beach.

Honestly... go check it out, drive it and have a mechanic look at it. If you feel comfortable paying 6k for it then do it. I had a '94 that lasted 170k before ANYTHING went wrong with it and I still have the car. It's whatever it's worth to you. If it's in good shape, then 6k doesn't seem too bad to me.