THINKING OF BUYING A WRECK IS IT WORTH IT??

HI,
MY LOCAL JY HAS A 2000 GT 4.6 5 SPEED. HAS 123XXX ON THE ODO. THE CAR IS BLACK ON BLACK LEATHER. SEATS AND INTERIOR ARE VERY NICE. THE CAR STARTS AND RUNS FINE. THERE IS DAMAGE TO THE DRIVERS SIDE FRONT,IT BENT THE SUB FRAME WHERE THE UPPER FENDERS BOLT OF UP. THE CAR SITS AS IT SHOULD,DOESNT APPEAR TO HAVE MESSED UP THE WHEEL PLACEMENT AT ALL. FROM THE DOORS BACK THE CAR IS NEAR PERFECT. NO DENTS OR ANYTHING.THEY ARE ASKING 2500 BUT I WAS THINKING OF OFFERING THEM $2000FOR IT,WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? I COULD HAVE THE FRAME STRAIGHTEN FOR ANOTHER $4-600. OR I COULD STRIP THE CAR,AND PUT ALL THE COMPONENT INTO MY 88 GT MUSTANG.WHATS YOUR GUYS THOUGHTS?? THANKS/

• Sponsors (?)

It's an okay deal but not a great deal. If you are patient you can find high mileage stock, good body 99-00 GT's for $5-6k. So even at $2k you'll have to put at least $1,500-2k to straighten the front subframe, replace the damaged body panels and have them painted and hope that there are no under lying problems. Even for parts you can buy all the parts you get for $2k for cheaper. Locally you can pick up complete 8.8 rears for $89 at my local jk (when they get GT's), 100k + PI engine can be had for $300, T-45 for $150-200, leaving you with a complete interior, which the seats would be worth the most. Of course the seats would have to be in great shape to get much out of them. So it would be boarderline worth it if you were going to swap some parts into your '88 and sell the rest.

Bill

I have fixed Mustangs and sold them my whole life and have done well on all of them. That upper rail is a breeze to R&R. Ford still stocks the upper halfs and they are cheap, you just need to know how to weld.

Putting everything in your fox body is a TON of work. I am doing that right now (dash, column, wiring, engine trans rear end...EVERYTHING) and it has been nothing but modification and fabrication. I would not just jump into that project unless you have many years exp. with welding, grinding, and fabrication.

It sounds like a good deal...but I would for sure offer 2K for it. We sell repairables here and there, and we are always open for offers. You hav eto be this day and age. IF they decline your offer, don't get mad because they can part the car out for way more than that. I am guessing they paid around 1,000 for it.

The only problem about buying a car like that is space. If you begin to part it out, it becomes messy and doesn't happen in a matter of a week.

We had a foxbody that we were parting and it took up a garage spot for months :rlaugh: