Thinking Of Getting An S197 Have Some Questions.

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
I haven't had a mustang in about 5 years but I lately I have had the itch again. I was thinking of picking up a 2008-2009 GT for DD duty. However I keep reading threads about stuff like needing tie rod ends, ball joints ect. at 50-60K miles????? My '87 GT went 100K before needing that kind of stuff I would have thought the new platform would have an even longer service life than the Fox. Are there any other issues like that to be aware of?? I know all the common Fox problems to look for but have no idea about the new cars.

Also not to sound like a Toyota nut swinger but my wife has always driven Toyota cars and my DD for the last 6 years has been a Tacoma so I am kinda used to just changing the oil, scheduled maintenance and not worrying about anything else. I would think Ford would be just as reliable and low maintenance now days, but reading some of the threads on here has me concerned.

• Sponsors (?)

Most folks come to a forum looking for help on an issue - not to report how good something is, so the initial impressions can be a bit biased. The S197 has a few problems, but what new cars don't? Look in pretty much any forum and you'll see problems with the specific vehicle. Don't let a few common issues steer you away from a solid machine. The S197 platform is much improved from the Fox, and even the New Age Mustangs. I was blown away at the difference in my '99GT and my '06GT.

That's good to hear, I am looking for a fun to drive but extremely reliable daily driver.
I even entertained the idea of another Fox but the memories of late nights spinning wrenches so I could get to work the next day quickly wiped that idea out.

More time to write now... The other thing to consider, is that IMHO, the 2011 V6 is a much more solid, better handling, more refined car than the 2008 GT. Lots of improvements in the 2010+ body style. You might find a 2010 GT for a decent price, because most are wanting the 5.0 rather than the 4.6, but if you're not buying a 5.0, I'd still take the 2011+ V6 over a 2010 GT--not much difference in performance, cheaper insurance, fuel bills, etc.

My girl has a '11 V6 and it's a great car. We drove it to Florida this summer and got 31.5MPG round trip. It runs pretty well too - but you have to stand on it and let it get some revs going for there to be any power. The handling/ride is good - the car feels very tight. But comparing it to a GT - even the previous model - is apples and oranges to me.

I have an 06 GT I bought new. It now has just about 130,000 miles. Doing front brakes for the first time in a week or two, oddly I did rear brake pads a little after 80k. Had to change the HVAC blower motor resistor (easy and cheap) at around 110k. Battery went at about 4yrs. One change of plugs to the Champion 7989, and cleaned those recently. I average 24mpg now to and from work in TN, in HEAVY traffic in Miami I was getting 17. Can get 28 without too much effort. Tires still wear even suspension still feels good. I LOVE turns and don't slow for bumps. I get over 50k on the tires.

Seems pretty reliable to me! I bought an 88 new too. It has 357,000 miles and still starts right up.

Reactions: 1 user