thinking of getting under drive pulleys for christmas

I am wondering what else do I need to get when I buy and install some Steeda under drive pulleys on my stang.Will I need to change the belt?Or adjust the timing?Also is it worth it to spend the money on them?Thanks for taken the time to read this and I hope that some of you can offer some advie.Thanks Shane

• Sponsors (?)

!!

shane93nc said:
I am wondering what else do I need to get when I buy and install some Steeda under drive pulleys on my stang.Will I need to change the belt?Or adjust the timing?Also is it worth it to spend the money on them?Thanks for taken the time to read this and I hope that some of you can offer some advie.Thanks Shane

Shane,

I think they are worth the money! They are one of the cheapest mods you can do to a car that produces both increased hp and longevity to parts life. If you look through the tread up top about upgrades you will see that lots of people use them.

They should use the same belt, no need for changing the timing, and you might need a puller too.

Hope that helps!

Bo

shane93nc said:
Under drive pulleys were my second modification to my stang. I would consider them like a basic bolt-on modification. They can offer 5-10Hp increase, however, it won't be noticeable. And no, you won't need a new belt.

I did notice the gain on mine. But I went w/ the ASP pulleys since they did not piggyback the old crank pulley but rather replaced it w/ a modified one. It cost me more $$ & was difficult to find but I think I got more gain & better belt balance w/ them.

I noticed a difference - didn't change the belt when I did the pulleys. If you're thinking about installing them, the Steeda crank pulley replaces the stock, not just piggyback. You don't have to change the timing, but might think about a timing adjuster at the same time to make the install of both easier.

If you're replacing the crank pulley definitely borrow or buy a puller! The right tool makes the job easier and they're cheap.

You only need to change the belt if yours is worn, or if you just want a fresh one, my oppinion is they don't cost that much, and you if your car has many miles on it you might as well do it while its off. One note be VERY careful with the crank bolt and carefully follow the directions, there are many people that have messed up their crank online from not reading the directions when dealing with the crank bolt.

Ike

p.s. you will need a torque wrench for installing your crank bolt (some people say you can get away without it, but remember if you mess up your crank the whole engine has to be disasembled to get to it)