Thinking of swapping out spec stg 3 for Centerforce DF... Need advice

I've had a spec stg 3 clutch with aluminum flywheel in my car for almost two months now. I like the clutch and all. It grabs real hard and can take a ton of abuse, but I just feel it isn't a good clutch for me because my car is pretty much my daily driver. It is often difficult to start off slow due to hardly any clutch slippage and the clutch if very inconsistent. Sometimes it feels awesome, and other times it doesn't feel all that great. It seems to grab hardest when cold and once its heated up it gets a little sloppy. So, I think I'm going to drive my car for a few more weeks until its time to put it away for its winter nap, and in the mean while I think I'm going to get a centerforce dual friction clutch. My friend has one in his car and I like it a lot better for street driving than the spec. What do you guys think? Would this be a waste of money in your opinion?

• Sponsors (?)

I think the spec stage 3 might be more clutch than you need. If you don't abuse it too bad at the track the DF centerforce will probably work just fine. I know there are a lot of guys who use them and really like them. The spec clutches are definatley touchy and grab hard you will just have to decide if your justified spending the money on the new clutch just because you don't like the way it drives

My DF clutch took all the abuse I could throw at it with the 302, but is starting to wear with the 408w.
In all fairness, it has lasted for a lot of miles.

If the spec clutch holds better maybe I will be getting one of those instead of replacing the DF?

:Word:
jason

kck6894 said:
I think the spec stage 3 might be more clutch than you need. If you don't abuse it too bad at the track the DF centerforce will probably work just fine. I know there are a lot of guys who use them and really like them. The spec clutches are definatley touchy and grab hard you will just have to decide if your justified spending the money on the new clutch just because you don't like the way it drives

I can see that you are pretty anti-spec lol. Yes the stg 3 is one badass clutch but I think its too much for me. Driving in the rain SUCKS with the stg 3, especially with drag radials. Other than it not being a good daily driver clutch it is still a great clutch. It chatters a bit now and then, but man does it hit hard. One day I had my buddy in the car and dropped it down to 3rd and nailed it. I scared him half to death. The clutch hit so hard he said he thought it was my car about to split in half at first. But yeah, money is not an issue. Like I said, I'm putting the car away soon due to winter so I won't be putting a new clutch in until spring. Will a CF dual friction work well with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel? My spec works okay with it, although it is a pia to start off sometimes because an aluminum requires more slipping of the clutch especially when starting off on hills, and slippage is something this stg 3 LACKS. It either grabs or it doesn't, and that's what I don't like about it...

I am not sure that a CF Dual Friction will slip a lot either. I know their stock clutch is great for the street but not for drag radials. If you want to drive with drag radials you may have to deal with non slip clutches or replace the clutch real often.

spec clutches are awsome for racing. but not for a daily driver. i had a spec 2 in my 03 mach 1. worked pretty good until i broke my input shaft. hard to belive coming from a practiaclly stock mach 1. the guy at the tranny shop told me that the clutch was to aggressive for my application. so i went ahead and i bought the centerforce df clutch. very happy with it. feels like stock and performs when i put the pedal to the metal. if you have a stock tranny.spec 3 and like racing my advice is to change it before its too late.

1990LXDropTop said:
I can see that you are pretty anti-spec lol. Yes the stg 3 is one badass clutch but I think its too much for me. Driving in the rain SUCKS with the stg 3, especially with drag radials. Other than it not being a good daily driver clutch it is still a great clutch. It chatters a bit now and then, but man does it hit hard. One day I had my buddy in the car and dropped it down to 3rd and nailed it. I scared him half to death. The clutch hit so hard he said he thought it was my car about to split in half at first. But yeah, money is not an issue. Like I said, I'm putting the car away soon due to winter so I won't be putting a new clutch in until spring. Will a CF dual friction work well with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel? My spec works okay with it, although it is a pia to start off sometimes because an aluminum requires more slipping of the clutch especially when starting off on hills, and slippage is something this stg 3 LACKS. It either grabs or it doesn't, and that's what I don't like about it...

Yeah I am a LITTLE anti spec. We went a couple of rounds with thier clutches. The stage 3 I had wouldn't hold to my application so we tried a stage 3F and had problems with that also. They continued to scew up all the orders every time we delt with them, and I was dealing direct with spec. they do drive hard on the street but I have just learned to get used to it. Sometimes there are just things you have to deal with in a street/strip car.

txblackmach1 said:
spec clutches are awsome for racing. but not for a daily driver. i had a spec 2 in my 03 mach 1. worked pretty good until i broke my input shaft. hard to belive coming from a practiaclly stock mach 1. the guy at the tranny shop told me that the clutch was to aggressive for my application. so i went ahead and i bought the centerforce df clutch. very happy with it. feels like stock and performs when i put the pedal to the metal. if you have a stock tranny.spec 3 and like racing my advice is to change it before its too late.

I installed the clutch along with a new TKO-500 so I'm not worried about the trans breaking anytime soon.