This car is bad news...

So today I'm on lunch break with my buddy from work, and were driving to get some food. I'm getting into the left lane of a 4-lane road to make a left hand turn into a shopping center yo find somewhere to eat, and as I'm switching lanes (I had plenty of room mind you) I see this guy hauling ass in the left lane in his panel van. I look to the right, see theres no one there, and go to switch lanes and as I was switching, I get rear-ended. I can't win with this car. I don't know how much work it needs. I've never been more mad/ sick to my stomach.

mustang.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

He rear ended you. His insurance's adjuster has to come look at your car to see how much they're paying you for the damage. It's not going to be cheap just looking at that pic, but it should be an easy fix for an experienced bodyman. Don't let them lowball you at all. Threaten to retain a lawyer if they dick you around one bit. That thing's been through 3 accidents now? It's not totaled, so I'd say third's a charm. You should be accident free from now on. I hope you get it fixed soon!

Thanks guys. The thing is, he's saying I didn't leave enough room when I merged and that's why he hit me. What I don't understand is how we figure out who's at fault? My dad said this isn't normally on the Police report, so I dunno how to figure this out. Some people also tell me that NJ is a no-fault state, but some people tell me otherwise. I never know what to believe. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

You mean you didnt get a police report? You are going to have a hell of a time trying to prove he was 100% at fault. Even though he rearended you, his insurance company is going to play rough.

If you end up selling it let me know.

You mean you didnt get a police report? You are going to have a hell of a time trying to prove he was 100% at fault. Even though he rearended you, his insurance company is going to play rough.

If you end up selling it let me know.

The police report doesn't get published til 3 days after the accident, and since Friday is a holiday, I won't be able to get it til Monday. Hopefully I won't get screwed like I have every other time in my life with this damn car.

damn that sucks dude.

from what i am aware of though, in NJ, if you get rear ended, its the person who rear ended you's fault 99.9 percent of the time.

one thing i've never understood. if another car hits you, and its their fault so their insurance company has to pay up, do they have the right to total your car even though they arent your insurance company?

this should be a no contest he was approaching too fast/ following too close, its not like you turned into his lane and his front clipped your rear. you were trying to get out of his way since he was driving like a dick and he still hit you.

whenever i see people speeding up in my rear view, i just slow down like 10 under the speed limit i can't stand when people drive like dicks only to stop right on my back bumper.

Sorry to hear about your accident dude. Its also nice to hear that you guys didn't get hurt in the process. Hit from the rear accidents are 99.9% the fault of the one with front end damage throughout the entire country. One thing you have to keep in mind as everyone has stated and I can't stress this enough the insurance company will try to say this or that was not broken in the wreck or try to do this or that play hard ball and don't give in to them.

Sad to see such a nice car get injured.

Get a lawyer immediately. I got rear ended in September of last year. My left shoulder popped out and back in... it ended up tearing my Labrum, which is the connective tissue that along with the rotator cuff keeps your shoulder in. I had to get surgery and you bet I will be pursuing it in court. The LEAST you need to do is go get checked out, x rays, MRI, whatever. Getting rear ended is tricky because you may not get symptoms for a couple days after... I was fine the day of and the next day I got hit, but two days later I could barely turn my neck it hurt so bad. Whiplash is no joke.

The police report will say who he "sited" as being at fault. Typically the police officer will tell you at the scene. I missed mine because I got a nice trip in an ambulance as I was too dizzy at the time. Police report did indeed take 3 business days to process. Good luck and keep us updated!

Adam

Thanks for the info guys. Honestly, I'm not sure who's at fault here. I thought I had enough room, but I guess I didn't. I was under the impression that it would also be his fault because the law is you are supposed to have your car under control at all times. If the officer puts no blame on anyone in the Police Report, how do I find out who is at fault?

Thanks for the info guys. Honestly, I'm not sure who's at fault here. I thought I had enough room, but I guess I didn't. I was under the impression that it would also be his fault because the law is you are supposed to have your car under control at all times. If the officer puts no blame on anyone in the Police Report, how do I find out who is at fault?

yeah i thought that whole keepin ur car under control at all times BS was true... i was 9/10s out of a parking spot and some lady slammed into me... it was my fault...

You're all good, it's his fault in every state, you are ALWAYS responsible for where the front of your vehicle is. As long as you got a police officer to the scene without going anywhere, and you have a police report coming you're set. Just make sure you get his insurance information and if he plays hardball go to court, I just hope you have another car to drive for the time being!

If you dont have any personal injury, you can rep yourself in court and win this one...just be honest. If you have a LEGIT injury, get a lawyer and start stacking the documentation.

You're all good, it's his fault in every state, you are ALWAYS responsible for where the front of your vehicle is. As long as you got a police officer to the scene without going anywhere, and you have a police report coming you're set. Just make sure you get his insurance information and if he plays hardball go to court, I just hope you have another car to drive for the time being!

If you dont have any personal injury, you can rep yourself in court and win this one...just be honest. If you have a LEGIT injury, get a lawyer and start stacking the documentation.

Yea the thing is, we didn't swap information, so how do I get his insurance information? I'm just worried because no one ever listens to the kid in the accident. Granted, I'm 20 and I'm not a kid anymore, I'm still considered the "young punk" in the event of an accident with someone thats older than me (40's I'd assume). I can never catch a break.