This car is bad news...

Get a lawyer immediately. I got rear ended in September of last year. My left shoulder popped out and back in... it ended up tearing my Labrum, which is the connective tissue that along with the rotator cuff keeps your shoulder in. I had to get surgery and you bet I will be pursuing it in court. The LEAST you need to do is go get checked out, x rays, MRI, whatever. Getting rear ended is tricky because you may not get symptoms for a couple days after... I was fine the day of and the next day I got hit, but two days later I could barely turn my neck it hurt so bad. Whiplash is no joke.

The police report will say who he "sited" as being at fault. Typically the police officer will tell you at the scene. I missed mine because I got a nice trip in an ambulance as I was too dizzy at the time. Police report did indeed take 3 business days to process. Good luck and keep us updated!

Adam

Get a lawyer. I was rear ended a few years back and I waited on getting a lawyer, it cost me at least $10k in settlement due to stupid mistakes...

• Sponsors (?)

As long as you're 100% NOT hurt, call him today and ask him for his insurance information and that you believe that he is at fault. You can get his info from the police dept if you don't know his phone#...

If he gives you crap, just tell him you'll settle it in small claims court (police dept can assist you in starting this process). Your insurance company should aid you in this too so call them asap as they'll have advice and may come do an estimate on your damage so you know how much to sue for if it goes that direction. If they wont write an estimate have a body shop do it and cover that cost up front (you'll get that back later).

I had a similar situation when i was 21 and I rep'd myself in court and won with pictures, officer testimony, and the TRUTH...but of course if you're less confident get a lawyer asap, if the ruling is in your favor those costs will be reimbursed.

If the guy is smart he'll let the ins companies settle this, in fact his insurance co may require it! His insurance carrier wont want to cover lawyer and other additional fees if it's obvious to them their client is at fault.

YOU NEED TO get going now though, none of this will happen if you're not focused and motivated! Remember nothing bad will happen to you for geting started with this...it's just a time committment and MAYBE some up-front costs depending on how you want to move forward.

If nothing else man, it at least looks like he was in your blind spot. That also puts fault on him, even if he tries to say you didnt have enough room to merge. I knew a girl that had a fully loaded semi merge right into her car, didnt even see her. They gave the girl 70% of the fault for being the semi's blind spot! It blew one of the trucks tires, but her car was TOTALLED! How fair is that?

As long as you're 100% NOT hurt, call him today and ask him for his insurance information and that you believe that he is at fault. You can get his info from the police dept if you don't know his phone#...

If he gives you crap, just tell him you'll settle it in small claims court (police dept can assist you in starting this process). Your insurance company should aid you in this too so call them asap as they'll have advice and may come do an estimate on your damage so you know how much to sue for if it goes that direction. If they wont write an estimate have a body shop do it and cover that cost up front (you'll get that back later).

I had a similar situation when i was 21 and I rep'd myself in court and won with pictures, officer testimony, and the TRUTH...but of course if you're less confident get a lawyer asap, if the ruling is in your favor those costs will be reimbursed.

If the guy is smart he'll let the ins companies settle this, in fact his insurance co may require it! His insurance carrier wont want to cover lawyer and other additional fees if it's obvious to them their client is at fault.

YOU NEED TO get going now though, none of this will happen if you're not focused and motivated! Remember nothing bad will happen to you for geting started with this...it's just a time committment and MAYBE some up-front costs depending on how you want to move forward.

The problem is, at the scene I wasn't even thinking straight, and I couldn't recall what happened so when the Police officer asked me my story, I had a hard time piecing it together. After the fact, once I cooled down, I remembered exactly what happened, but I guess its too late. At this point, I dunno what to do because my parents have about had it with this car. I just got the car back on the road about 2 weeks ago from the last problem I had with the rear end, and now this happens. I have a hard time talking about it with them because they are just placing blame on me because this is the 2nd accident I've had. My mom tells me I drive to aggressively, and my dad basically told me I'm not a good driver. This is a load of bull**** because I've driven cleanly for 3 years since my first accident, I don't speed on town roads like this, I was aware of what was happening, and even though I was getting into his lane, I left him enough room to stop. I think its ridiculous for my dad to tell me I'm not a good driver considering he lets me drive his Chevelle, and hes letting me race his Nova at 130mph, but he thinks I can't handle an every day car. He's got his stories crossed.

Well IMO who cares what your dad says at this point, it's your insurance policy I'm assuming and your car/responsibility. Get something done with it and he'll get off your case.

With that said, if you let the other guy and the cop steamroll you at the scene and an unfavorable/inaccurate report was filed, it's not good. But certainly call your ins co and explain all of this in detail and they may be able to help.

Well IMO who cares what your dad says at this point, it's your insurance policy I'm assuming and your car/responsibility. Get something done with it and he'll get off your case.

With that said, if you let the other guy and the cop steamroll you at the scene and an unfavorable/inaccurate report was filed, it's not good. But certainly call your ins co and explain all of this in detail and they may be able to help.

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

its just really bad new jersey drivers.

some lady saw her lane was ending just like 10 minutes ago, so she sped up, to try and get in front of me, and i was already on the one lane road. when there were a whole bunch of cars in front of her, by the time her slow ass caddilac would of passed me, she would of been a quarter mile onto the one lane road. so she would of passed me on a one lane road. pissed me off so bad, all i could think of was the picture of your rear end all crumpled up. so for that i went 20 under the speed limit to piss this lady off, for about 2 1/2 miles on this one lane road, so she can't pass me.

i can't stand ignorant drivers. then like 20 minutes before that a dude in a newer caddy was right on my ass the whole time down this road, i had to turn coming up so i put my signal on and start slowing down early so he doesn't slam on his brakes soon as i start to turn. residential area, i don't know if theres kids in the middle of the road, so i need room to react.

i hate idiots on the road. i need a big ass truck, anyone tries to drive like a dick around me then i'll find their hood underneath my back tires.

Get a lawyer immediately. I got rear ended in September of last year. My left shoulder popped out and back in... it ended up tearing my Labrum, which is the connective tissue that along with the rotator cuff keeps your shoulder in. I had to get surgery and you bet I will be pursuing it in court. The LEAST you need to do is go get checked out, x rays, MRI, whatever. Getting rear ended is tricky because you may not get symptoms for a couple days after... I was fine the day of and the next day I got hit, but two days later I could barely turn my neck it hurt so bad. Whiplash is no joke.

same thing happened to me, thought I was fine and my neck was so sore the next day I couldnt move it at all. For the next 5+ years every summer it acts up on me but each year its less and less.

So today I'm on lunch break with my buddy from work, and were driving to get some food. I'm getting into the left lane of a 4-lane road to make a left hand turn into a shopping center yo find somewhere to eat, and as I'm switching lanes (I had plenty of room mind you) I see this guy hauling ass in the left lane in his panel van. I look to the right, see theres no one there, and go to switch lanes and as I was switching, I get rear-ended. I can't win with this car. I don't know how much work it needs. I've never been more mad/ sick to my stomach.

mustang.jpg

That makes no sense. There is a guy in a van in the left lane so your switch into the right lane and get hit? What relevance does that van have in this story and why were you switching into the right line if the food place is on the left?

Well I needed to at least make the car drivable so I went outside today and bashed the quarter panel out a little bit from inside the trunk, and got it back out to almost where it should be. I also flattened out the jagged parts of the inner fender and quarter panel that were near the back tire and I drove the car to my buddy's body shop for him to have a look at it. The car runs fine, drives straight, and doesn't make any funny noises, so I'm happy in that respect. The frame is fine, some of the tabs that the rear quarter is welded to are a little bent, but nothing that I can't fix. This looks like its going to be a job I do at home instead of bringing it somewhere, because if i take it somewhere its likely to cost 5 times as much and I don't have near enough money for that. Heres some pics:

DSCN3363.jpg

DSCN3364.jpg

DSCN3365.jpg

DSCN3366.jpg

That makes no sense. There is a guy in a van in the left lane so your switch into the right lane and get hit? What relevance does that van have in this story and why were you switching into the right line if the food place is on the left?

Sounds like he went to get into the left lane, noticed the van approaching quickly and attempted to get back in the right lane then was hit by the van because it was too late to get back.

stprorolla49, was the line on your left solid or was it still a passing lane at that point?

***edit, no reason to prod you for more answers, sorry. Nice quick fix by the way, looks like a new tail light will fit in there properly***

I was in the right lane, switched into the left with plenty of room, slowed from 35 to about 10, saw the guy coming at me from behind, looked to the right quickly, saw there was no one there, and swerved to the right to prevent from getting directly hit from behind and he clipped the rear driver part of the car.

Sounds like he went to get into the left lane, noticed the van approaching quickly and attempted to get back in the right lane then was hit by the van because it was too late to get back.

stprorolla49, was the line on your left solid or was it still a passing lane at that point?

***edit, no reason to prod you for more answers, sorry. Nice quick fix by the way, looks like a new tail light will fit in there properly***

You hit it right on the head, except I was just about all the way into the lane. The way I see it, I left him more than enough room to slow down, and to see me switching into his lane, and I was slowing down at the same time...i guess he just didnt see me slowing down, or slow down enough in time. And the line was dashed, not solid, so i was still legally able to switch lanes.

You hit it right on the head, except I was just about all the way into the lane. The way I see it, I left him more than enough room to slow down, and to see me switching into his lane, and I was slowing down at the same time...i guess he just didnt see me slowing down, or slow down enough in time. And the line was dashed, not solid, so i was still legally able to switch lanes.

Well that my friend is not your fault, and it's unfortunate actually that you attempted to move outta the way. A more direct hit from the rear would have cleared up ANY misconception. Good luck.

Well that my friend is not your fault, and it's unfortunate actually that you attempted to move outta the way. A more direct hit from the rear would have cleared up ANY misconception. Good luck.

Yea, unfortunately your right, but I wanted to get the least amount of damage possible. If he had hit me harder directly from behind, they probably would have totaled my car which would have done me no good, and I would have lost all my hard earned work. I'm just worried that I didn't handle myself well at the scene. What can I say, my baby was just ruined:(

bro, that doesn't mean the mustang is bad news. it still would have happened if you were driving a honda, or a vette

hindsight is 20/20 i know, but you probably would have been better off letting him hit you from behind.