This fools running....

Crackerballer

Founding Member
May 6, 2002
Durham, NC
A Honda 2000....

Sorry for the bad fast and furious line, but I couldn't resist. A friend of mine and I were talking about my 99 Cobra (mods in Sig) and my friend has an S2000, intake and exhaust :rolleyes: and we were dicussing who will win most likely. I told him from a dead stop, I would kill him. I think I will beat him either way, but he thinks it will be close.

I know most will say go race, well we can't becuase right now we are both in college, and different colleges. Just curious what your encounters have been.

• Sponsors (?)

I raced an S2000 from a roll in my old bone stock 96 Cobra. It was quick, no doubt, and he had the jump but I reeled him in and put about a car length on dat azz thru 3rd. Not sure how much intake and exhaust will do for him, but I'm guessing you will walk him.

Crackerballer said:
A Honda 2000....

Sorry for the bad fast and furious line, but I couldn't resist. A friend of mine and I were talking about my 99 Cobra (mods in Sig) and my friend has an S2000, intake and exhaust :rolleyes: and we were dicussing who will win most likely. I told him from a dead stop, I would kill him. I think I will beat him either way, but he thinks it will be close.

I know most will say go race, well we can't becuase right now we are both in college, and different colleges. Just curious what your encounters have been.

Hi, i've driven and raced in an s2000 and currently drive a '99 cobra conv. Would feel that the '99 is a faster car over the quarter mile. however, your friend might have an advantage in that the s2000 is an extremely light car with very close gearing and is much easier to drive! If you do a rolling start at say 10mph though, you'll own him coz he needs time to get up to 6000rpm for vtec. below that rev, the s2000's got a miserable amount of torque. that car's made for attacking corners, not straight lines.

Dude, he'd have to launch at 6500rpm from a stop JUST to keep somewhat pace with you. Try launching a Cobra at 6500rpm and you'll shatter the entire rear end.

I remember reading about a test some mag made when the s2k's first came out. They tried launching the car at like 3000rpm from a stop, and ended up running a horrible time, like a high 15 in the 1/4th.

Your probably making at least 2 1/2 times the torque to the wheels that he is, and about 70 more rwhp. His car has the potential to be quick, but its imperative that he keep the revvs above 5000 at all times. I'd say your huge low/mid range power advantage is going to help you muscle by him without much of a sweat.

I played with an S2000 on the interstate on July 4th weekend. My Cobra is bone stock and I destroyed him, with the top down. We started at 60mph rolls and it was a joke. At that rolling speed it doesn't have as much to do with the driver, he just has to hit the gas. I even let him get a car length lead before I shifted out of 6th gear.
I wouldn't waist the gas racing an S2000 unless you just want to embarass him.

Lawman85 said:
I played with an S2000 on the interstate on July 4th weekend. My Cobra is bone stock and I destroyed him, with the top down. We started at 60mph rolls and it was a joke. At that rolling speed it doesn't have as much to do with the driver, he just has to hit the gas. I even let him get a car length lead before I shifted out of 6th gear.
I wouldn't waist the gas racing an S2000 unless you just want to embarass him.
Uhhhh you're in a SUPERCHARGED Cobra. No ***** you spanked him.

Ahbeng said:
Hi, i've driven and raced in an s2000 and currently drive a '99 cobra conv. Would feel that the '99 is a faster car over the quarter mile. however, your friend might have an advantage in that the s2000 is an extremely light car with very close gearing and is much easier to drive! If you do a rolling start at say 10mph though, you'll own him coz he needs time to get up to 6000rpm for vtec. below that rev, the s2000's got a miserable amount of torque. that car's made for attacking corners, not straight lines.

I had a 97 Cobra coupe, 98 Vette(auto/2.73 gears) 02 S2000 and now 03 SVT Cobra coupe.. the S2000 is the best handler, followed by the 98 Vette/03 Cobra (they are DAMN close) and the 97 Cobra.. acceleration is the 03 Cobra, 98 Vette then the 97 Cobra/S2000 are again damn close..

if the S2000 is at a rolling start at say 25 mph, he'll be in 1st gear and at 6000 rpm, and will be a very good race with any Cobra prior to the 03 (and Cobra R's)

Also, for those that are saying the S2000's rearend is too fragile to launch it... I did many a burnout in mine, and never hurt it at all.. (this was 6000+ rpm clutch drops) all it would do is spin both tires for 1st gear and get a nice chirp out of 2nd then would hook..