This is what my Head Gasket looked like!

5 Liter Mustang

Aug 17, 2003
I came back from a good 70 mile trip and parked it. The next day, i went to start it up and it was misfiring badly. I looked at the spark plug wires and there was a ton of corrosion around the terminal on the coil. I thought it was an easy fix. I cleaned the terminal...still misfiring. Then i bought this accel kit and spent a few hours cutting and fitting a new set of wires...still misfiring. I figured out which cylinders weren't firing...numbers 1 and 2. I took a compression test, and both cylinders were low. DAMN HEAD GASKET!!!

it took 3 days of light work to fix, and its up and running again...finally.

351817_62_full.jpg

351817_63_full.jpg

351817_64_full.jpg

351817_66_full.jpg

351817_67_full.jpg

351817_68_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

this was the first time the head has been off. This is a 100% stock 30k original mile engine that sat for 10 years..

wouldn't i be able to hear/feel it if detonation was occuring. It ran perfectly before.

it depends if you listen for it you probably would hear it.. But if you weren't then theres a good chance you didn't hear it.. When it gets bad it kinda sounds like golf balls bouncing off the windsheild, i guess thats as best as i can describe it

:damnit: that's one big reason i dont like EFI intakes...you've gotta pull the whole upper in order to just remove the valve cover, let alone the heads. Sure, the intakes have to come off anyways in order to pull a head off, but Ford should have (dare i say this) built their intakes like Chevy did their tuned ports, so that the intake comes straight down towards the front of the block..but i guess that wouldnt work with the distributor there...oh well.

bad wires or distributor cap causing eradic crossfiring to those cylinders causing detonation. usually found on cylinders 7&8 on 302 firing order or 6&5 on 351 firing order.the corrosion on the coil wire was probably the culprit.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
:damnit: that's one big reason i dont like EFI intakes...you've gotta pull the whole upper in order to just remove the valve cover, let alone the heads. Sure, the intakes have to come off anyways in order to pull a head off, but Ford should have (dare i say this) built their intakes like Chevy did their tuned ports, so that the intake comes straight down towards the front of the block..but i guess that wouldnt work with the distributor there...oh well.
I didn't have to pull my upper to remove valve covers...I did pull the throttle body, however