this seem right?

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
I got an estimate from a local shop for purchasing a s/c and having them install it. I knew it was gonna be expensive to do but I didnt really have a $6k figure in my head. The bastards are charging for shipping too.. Cruddy..
$130 to ship the kit and $15 for the injectors. I was under kind of under the assumption that they had the parts but guess not.

V-2 Si-Trim Vortech Supercharger Kit Non
Intercooled(Satin)(comes with fuel pump) -3,299.99

Spark Plugs 35.00
Injectors 60s 419.99

Install supercharger kit, injectors, spark plugs, and fuel system
(Carb Cleaner, Rags, Silicone, Wiring, etc) - 1,200.00

Dyno Tune - SCT Chip 550.00
Dyno Supplies - Straps, o2 Sensors, etc- 27.50

total- $6,044.88

• Sponsors (?)

90lxwhite...looks like they are trying to hose you. That supercharger kit should be complete. Check Summit Racing. The labor seems about right tho...I'd say ALWAYS buy your own parts and just pay for labor. Check some of the aftermarket performance supply companies. But I would not pay THAT much...I'd even recommend getting the kit and taking out a day or two to install it your self. You'll probably do it in less time then they would have anyway. I can see your car sitting there for a week or to because they "got something bigger to work on"...

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are or just not taking any risk with forced induction but a Vortech isn't all that hard to install. I asembled the entire Vortech unit on a work bench then walked it over to the car and bolted it on. I will post pictures tomorrow of the process.

Your estimate is robbery. Most 94-95's aren't even worth $6,000+. You can find a used Vortech for half the price and some people may throw in fuel and ignition parts with it. I sold my Vortech S-Trim V1 with MSD6AL BTM, inline fuel pump, pulley's, everything for like $2400. Plus I even polished it. Let someone else take a bath on the new car smell.

The estimate is so ridiculous here is an analogy. For a few thousand more dollars than that estimate you can have this (click link), a 1995 Cobra in mint condition making 500HP. I'm tempted to go look at this car over the weekend.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/2719390223.html

Yeah seemed on the high side but maybe not. I guess best way is to buy it and have it installed or do it myself. I never have but I imagine I could. As far as the shipping, it's a performance shop so I kinda thought they'd have the parts on hand, guess not and even if they didnt im sure theyre buying it at whole sale so they could cut a guy a little bit of a break. So no to the 60 lb injectors? And as far as the "fuel pump" that is included Im sure its the not an in the tank but the one that comes with the little piggy back one that runs in line right? Comes with the vortech kit.

Here is how I built my Vortech, on a work bench first then brought it to the car and bolted it up. You can see I used red marker to label everything. Look at the bolts they have red markings on it. Just reversed engineered it on the bench.

VortechBench.jpg

Attachments

• VortechBench.jpg
    VortechBench.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 74