This sucks. Tint related.

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
I got pulled over a few weeks ago for my licence plate lights being burnt out. I also happened to have a busted brake lap as well. So while I was pulled over for that I also got busted for tint....:bang: :bang: :bang:

My car seems too naked now. It was around 5% and now its back to no tint with just the factory "solar tint".

How hard is it to re-tint a car yourself? I think the hardest part would be the back glass.

But, I sucked it up, ripped it off and got all the charges dropped. I can take that money and put it towards some new coil packs.

• Sponsors (?)

Back is definetly hardest. But if you haven't done it before all are very hard and I would not recommend it. Leave it to a professional. Something that just takes practice. Sorry to hear but that is some bad luck man. Tint is something that can make a car look great but if not done well can make the same car look horrible.

i did mine myself with no prior experience. the tint cost me 3 dollars a foot and i needed 10 feet (for the 2 sides the rear window was already tintted) doesnt look bad for my first time but next time it will look a lot better. its a good skill to have especially if your getting tickets and have to re tint

www.tintdude.com <- read about the glue pen for dot matrix it works awesome

I got pulled over a few weeks ago for my licence plate lights being burnt out. I also happened to have a busted brake lap as well. So while I was pulled over for that I also got busted for tint....:bang: :bang: :bang:

My car seems too naked now. It was around 5% and now its back to no tint with just the factory "solar tint".

How hard is it to re-tint a car yourself? I think the hardest part would be the back glass.

But, I sucked it up, ripped it off and got all the charges dropped. I can take that money and put it towards some new coil packs.
Why did you rip the back glass tint off? It should be perfectly legal to have the back glass as dark as you want it.

I would have just ripped of the front windows which are easily retinted.

Why did you rip the back glass tint off? It should be perfectly legal to have the back glass as dark as you want it.

I would have just ripped of the front windows which are easily retinted.

Here it is 27% all the way around, as follows:

South Carolina Tint Law Enacted: 1992
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN SOUTH CAROLINA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In South Carolina, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 27% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 27% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 27% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN SOUTH CAROLINA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows Must be non-reflective, state law is not specific about what this means.
Back Side Windows Must be non-reflective, state law is not specific about what this means.

OTHER SOUTH CAROLINA RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

All windows had to go, its 27% all the way around as posted above... I definatly triple checked that.

I got some 5% (didnt learn the first time...:rolleyes: ) from Walmart and im going to see how hard it is to re do the back at 5%, and the sides at 20%. If the crap doesnt turn purple (I got the "Best Quality" stuff) then itll cost only 25-26 bucks to re do myself.

I bought some stuff that makes it easier to apply the tint, so hopefully it wont go on too bad.

I used to fix the tint on windows for a local limo company.The best thing I learned about tinting was you distilled water and dawn dish soap (blue stuff only need a few drops enought to make tint slide).Use alot of the water/soap solution.How I got my window pattern was wet the outside of the window and cut it down to the size you want but leave a inch or two extra, also 2 pieces of scotch tape works great to get the tint apart.When making the pattern on the outside of the window make sure you have the tint the correct way, or you could be cutting it backwards.You also need a good sugguie if you don't have one a Credit card will work.Also spray the tint (sticky side) and let sit for a few minutes before applying.Also do not do in direct sun or on a very hot day, the solution will dry fast, and you will not beable to work out air bubbles

That is a pretty good idea, only taking the tint off on the two front windows. They have no way to measure the % on the windows that don't roll down.

You wouldn't even have to do that to play it 'safe'. Just tint the sides 27% or whatever and the rear ones darker. That's how my truck is and because the rear windows are dark, it makes the fronts look much darker. I actually got a lecture about it from a cop at a road block a couple months ago ... I told him that I would gladly let him test the windows and he didn't bother.

take a pic of your caror a car like yours with no tint. take that to the DA and they will throw out the ticket. i have done this over 20 times and it always works. if youcant do that just pay your lawyer $150 to get it dropped. thats still cheaper than retinting. andi'm sure you have already found out it isnt easy to dothe back glass!

Thanks for the tips and advice.

I bought some 5% for the back glass and small side windows. Im going to do 20% on the fronts just so its lightened up alot.

Probaly should have learned my lesson the first time, hah.

If I cant apply it myself then I will take it to get it done and just get the legal precentage.