Those Darn 1/4 Windows On 87+ :(

MrFoxNutCase

Formerly: redcandy2011gt
Sep 24, 2009
Well, after gawking at extremely low mile foxes at a small show yesterday - I got depressed looking at my semi-restored trim. Looks like the factory had it more glossy than I thought. Finding OE 1/4 windows for a coupe is not doable, Ebay dudes want up to $1000 each (and still not perfect).

Mine weren't super pitted or shrunk to start with so I tried builder primer which was my mistake the primer isn't as flexible as I hoped, the trim paint looks to be pretty flexible but not very buildable. I'm going to call a body shop guru buddy of mine to get some tips but I'll start by cleaning off what I did to the trim to set the stage to start over.

Has anyone successfully restored theirs? Any pics, tips and prayers? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. Several coats of primer, sand, more primer, sand until pitting is gone. Then hit it with SEM trim black. Here's a before and after.

IMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
I used plain ol duplicolor sandable primer. It stayed plenty flexable... Once these windows are installed, they are static, so flexing shouldn't be an issue to deal with. Adhesion is what you need to worry about, and the duplicolor is still doing great, six months later of road and weather.

Kinda why I scooped up some 1/4 windows on CL for $50 when I spotted them. Prices have been going up and up on even the crappy ones.

I need to get on this, and looks like I need to pick up a can of SEM trim black as it seems that's the goto for refinishing many of the trim pieces on these cars.

Reactions: 1 user
i redid my quarter windows back in 2009. Just used hi build primer, sand, more primer, sand, etc until it was nice and smooth and then some black trim paint. like boosted92 said, once installed, flexibility isn't an issue. Good luck

i redid my quarter windows back in 2009. Just used hi build primer, sand, more primer, sand, etc until it was nice and smooth and then some black trim paint. like boosted92 said, once installed, flexibility isn't an issue. Good luck
What a good looking mustang:nice:.

You're in Norman? Work at the school?