Those "not So" Good Vibrations...

StangLou

Jul 9, 2003
Holly Springs, NC
Ok, so I changed out my back brake pads yesterday/this am. Ran into an issue with the ABS turn and press piston but I got that all worked out. Got the pads on and put everything back together. Went to test things out this am with a few quick stops. Everything is great at subdivision speed aka sub 35. No vibrations, nothing.

Drove into work this am, and I thought my hands were going to shake off of the steering wheel, and the car was going to shake apart.

What in the heck could I have done changing pads to make the steering wheel and entire car shake like its about to fall apart at highway speeds???? I had zero issues prior to doing this. I just noticed a bit of a squeaking sound in the rear so I new the pads were about gone. Swapped them out, and now its shake/rattle/roll time :(.

My process was as follows. Jacked up the lt rear, removed tire, removed the 2 12mm bolts, took off the caliper, took off the old pads, used a c-clamp and channel locks to rotate and press in the piston, put on the new pads, made sure the little wire portions went through the gap in the caliper, inserted the 2 12mm bolts, tightened them back up, put wheel back on and rinse/repeat for the other side. I left the ebrake cabel and all attached. I never unhooked the caliper from either of the lines.

Also the vibration is much worse on acceleration. Once speed is acheived is it definitely noticable, but not as bad as on acceleration. There is the same vibration feel upon braking until about 40mph and then everything feels fine.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Same as I have every other time I have taken them off. I used to swap MT ET Streets on and off at the strip, so I am familiar with the swapping process. When I first felt it this am I thought I had a flat. Checked the tire and it appears fine.