Those of you that got blown . . .

• Sponsors (?)

I would say that depends on what your plans are and your mechanical ability. I am running Powerdyne 9# but its blowing through my demon carb. While some may think this is the easy way to S/C it took quite some time to modify the card. to allow it to work correctly being blown through. I have all of the parts to swap to EFI but am loving the power & look of the blown carb for now.

I haven't s/c'ed a carb'd car yet, but I helped on a friends 01 Cobra. That install took about a weekend with a few cases of beer and some pizzas. There were 4 of us and we had to do it all including changing out the fuel pumps. We all have a decent amount of technical knowledge, but nowhere near professional. I have heard that the hardest thing about carb'd s/c installs is getting a non f/i carb to work just right. If that is your case, you may want to have a professional tuner handle that part.
-Edgar

i installed my blower in about 3 hours. like it has been said, the carb is the most time consuming. I had a carb built since i had vac. sec. before, so i needed it anyway, but a carb will run anywhere from $450-750, then cam the upgraded fuel system, which mine can support about 1000 HP if it had to( I know its overkill) I have been fighting my tune because the the cam was so wrong, but after the new cam, should be dial in once and for all.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I already have the Paxton Novi 1500 kit, which includes the carb enclosure assembly. So, I'm assuming that I won't need to do any work to my carb.

Sounds like you guys were able to handle the install on your own.

I think I'm going to just do the install myself and then have it professionally tuned.

i installed my blower in about 3 hours. like it has been said, the carb is the most time consuming. I had a carb built since i had vac. sec. before, so i needed it anyway, but a carb will run anywhere from $450-750, then cam the upgraded fuel system, which mine can support about 1000 HP if it had to( I know its overkill) I have been fighting my tune because the the cam was so wrong, but after the new cam, should be dial in once and for all.

You're running 10psi? What CR is your motor? Do you have any idea how much power you're putting out?

The kit that I have comes with a 7.5psi pulley, but I was planning on changing it to 10psi. My motor has an 8.5:1 CR, so I'm assuming that 10psi will be fine.

I installed a Novi1000 on my '65 with 5.0l and EFI. It took several weekends of determined fabricating and head-scratching to get it worked out. The Novi 1000 kit was originally for a Fox Mustang which I hoped against hope would fit in my '65 unaltered. It didn't. I wound up fabricating custom intake and discharge tubes, doing some creative alternator relocation, dreaming up bypass valve plumbing and routing serpentine belts in ways the Ford guys hadn't dreamed of. All of this is not to mention the typical supercharger upgrades (fuel pump, bigger injectors, ECU retune, etc) Not an installation for the feint of heart (or who think it can be tackled in a few hours!)

I'd imagine that the Novi 1500, which is custom-made for a '65 with carb would be a snap in comparison. The Novi 1000 kit was very complete and well thought-out for its intended Fox-body application, as I'd imagine the 1500 kit is - it's when you detour off the beaten path that the harder part starts.

Can't argue much with the results though: 445rwhp and 426rwft-lb at about 9psi. The car is big fun to drive, and I really haven't messed with the supercharger since installing it (been too busy messing with everything else).

- Andy

You can but as 10 sec goal said you can do it yourself with info printed off the internet in an afternoon. I called Demon and they advise against blow through for several reasons but I for one have been shocked at how clean it is running.

Eh, don't listen to them. There are guys making 1100 to the ground, to the ground with carbs. Over 30 psi.

Nostang, you made still need to make some mods to the carb, even with the box.

You're running 10psi? What CR is your motor? Do you have any idea how much power you're putting out?

The kit that I have comes with a 7.5psi pulley, but I was planning on changing it to 10psi. My motor has an 8.5:1 CR, so I'm assuming that 10psi will be fine.
My kit came with a 7 psi set up (whick is plenty)and I changed the pullies, but the SN wont support the CFM needed to see 10 that i thought i had. I have 9.0:1 and the cam had a lot of overlap so it was just blowing the compression out.I am pulling the engine out now and doing a tighter LS cam and the original builder is guessing it will make about 600-625 on a engine dyno, enought to split my block:D

You still need to mod the carb. as said. Their website tells you what carbs. to use and states that they must be modded for blow through. Check your instructions; I'm sure they will tell you everything you need to know.

I will agree with Red 65 that unless you buy a kit that is made for your year model you have to do some rethinking. I have a mid 80's LTD alt/powersteering braket that moves the Alt to the drivers side and the ducting is another thing you'll have to fabricate but theres nothing like driving a boosted classic.

It's not that hard...I got the complete kit from paxton though. had to get a new carb for the mechanical secondaries.. You do not need to relocate the battery...it's real close though..I had to have the alt pulley machined to line up...I had cut a tab off my passenger side total control export brace bracket for the tube..I had to put in a lokar throttle pedal/cable..The stock linkage hits on the enclosure because I have the RPM performer mainifold. If you have a stock manifold you might be ok...Other than that it is pretty straight foward...total cost about 2500 kit..500 carb and other misc parts..about 240 for pedal assm....