threadlocker and anti-seize ?'s

jaymac

Feb 18, 2004
Northern Mass
I just need to know which thing ss will take threadlocker and which will use anti-seize:
head bolts
intake bolts
header bolts
ACT sensor
EGR fitting in manifold
Water tube fitting & other sensor in the front of the lower manifold
thanks,
Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

jaymac said:
I just need to know which thing ss will take threadlocker and which will use anti-seize:
head bolts
intake bolts
header bolts
ACT sensor
EGR fitting in manifold
Water tube fitting & other sensor in the front of the lower manifold
thanks,
Jeremy
Head bolts, nothing but oil... and on the lower bolts, you will need to use some sort of thread SEALER, like a silicone because they are not blind holes.. they go right into the water jackets like previously said.

Intake bolts... Nothing. Put them dry.

Header bolt: I like to use thread locker so they don't back out. Why do you think the stock heads never leaked??? Ford put thread locker on them :nice:
ACT sensor: Teflon tape

EGR: I'd use Antiseize.

All the rest, use Teflon tape. Good luck, bro.

Hey, thanks for the info.
Now when you guys say "lower", are you referring to the lower bolts on the heads, or the bolts for the lower intake -to-heads?
I did pick up a thread sealer, threadlocker, and anti-seize, so I guess now I just need Teflon tape!
Thanks again!
J

THe lower bolts on the HEAD. If you look into the bolt holes, you will see coolant. If you don't use sealant... You will be blowing white smoke on start up. It sucks, I know... I've done it lol.

You can also use the teflon liquid. Some like it more. Instead of tape, it's like silicone in a tube, and you just tab a little on it. Depends on you own preferance. Good luck, bro. :nice:

jaymac said:
Hey, thanks for the info.
Now when you guys say "lower", are you referring to the lower bolts on the heads, or the bolts for the lower intake -to-heads?
I did pick up a thread sealer, threadlocker, and anti-seize, so I guess now I just need Teflon tape!
Thanks again!
J
If you have thread sealer with teflon, you really won't need teflon tape. Also some mild strengh thread lock on the vavle cover bolds wouldn't hurt.

new question:
I was reading the manual today to prepare step-by-step style, and it says to use teflon tape/pipe sealant on the lower head bolts for the V6, but just oil on the V8 headbolts.
Does anyone have any additional info/facts regarding this question?

All the bolts get antiseize under the bolt heads, and everything but the short head bolts get it on the threads. You need Teflon pipe dope or ARP sealant to coat the threads of the short head bolts. The short bolts go into the water jacket and will seep coolant if you don't use the sealant.

jaymac said:
So on the short head blots, literally just the underside of the hex head itself gets the antiseize?

I believe that's what he meant, the short bolts need sealant on the threads since they contact coolant, and not antiseize. Good thread, I'm doing my heads/cam tomorrow and was wondering what goes where. Subscribing...