threw a code and need help

hydro37

Aug 12, 2011
Iowa
I have a 2010 GT and the service engine light came on last week.....PO442 code and wonder what it is and how serious it is? Heard from someone it is a small emmision leak?
Help is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Code P0442 indicates you have a small leak in the evaporative emissions system.
You are not going damage anything by driving it, nor are you going to be left stranded somewhere by having this concern.
It is not serious unless you are out of warranty, then it might be expensive to fix. It could be as simple as a loose gas cap to repair.
If your car is still under warranty take it to the dealer and get it tested to pinpoint the cause of the leak and have it fixed.

I have a 2010 GT and the service engine light came on last week.....PO442 code and wonder what it is and how serious it is? Heard from someone it is a small emmision leak?
Help is greatly appreciated.

Hi hydro37,

As bigb427 said, there could be many possible causes, so I recommend bringing to the dealer so they can figure it out. Let me know if I can assist. :)

~Natasha

it is at the dealer now. they said it could be a faulty fill nozzle or even a bad gas tank. then they are not sure this will fix the code. may just fix the slow fueling problem.
anyone else have to replace a tank?
they will have the car for several days and are not providing a loaner????

Thanks for the replies