Throttle Body

• Sponsors (?)

A TB on a basically stock car may net maybe 2-3rwhp. When paired with a plenum you could see a gain of about 5-7rwhp. Those gains would increase the more mods you have (ie. full exhaust, cams, etc.)

Throttle body won't do **** for you N/A.

List your current mods.

5.0 JULY 07

"nice and easy"

stock 03 5 speed gt : 213/242

+cherry bomb catback (stock midpipe) : 217/251

+accufab 75mm tb+plenum : 233/259

+jlt ram air intake : 237/262

+march pulleys : 242/267

+diablosport : 243/271

If you actually believe they got 16WHP from a TB/plenum, then I don't know what to tell you other than xmas is coming soon, so you better get your list ready for Santa :)

I've heard conflicting info regarding TB/plenum mods.

If I remember correctly, winters98gt did some experimenting with them back in the day, and got practically nothing from it. Considering his experience with 2-valves, I would think he knows a good amount about it and that his experiments with them have good meaning.

But at the same time, I remember LI98GT (I think that was his name) doing similar tests and gaining well over a tenth and 1 mph in the quarter. And that was on NPI heads. I remember not believing it at first, but he posted time slips and DAs for both passes (at the same track), and it certainly looked like legitimate gains.

So I don't know which to believe. I do know that I wouldn't spend much money on it. I'd either get the BBK 78 mm TB/plenum, or the Trickflow combo. Both run around $260. I'm running a 75 mm Stack Racing TB that I got for <$100, and it works perfectly fine. I see absolutely no sense in spending $400+ on a TB/plenum.

In the end, I'd first spend money elsewhere. There is a much bigger gain in exhaust or gears or a programmer than in a TB/plenum. Now, if you have all those things done, and want to spend another $200-$300, then by all means get one. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Oh, and to your original question. Get the 75 mm TB, assuming it isn't any more expensive. There is absolutely no downside, and will allow room to grow if serious mods come into play in the future.

I've heard conflicting info regarding TB/plenum mods.

If I remember correctly, winters98gt did some experimenting with them back in the day, and got practically nothing from it. Considering his experience with 2-valves, I would think he knows a good amount about it and that his experiments with them have good meaning.

But at the same time, I remember LI98GT (I think that was his name) doing similar tests and gaining well over a tenth and 1 mph in the quarter. And that was on NPI heads. I remember not believing it at first, but he posted time slips and DAs for both passes (at the same track), and it certainly looked like legitimate gains.

So I don't know which to believe. I do know that I wouldn't spend much money on it. I'd either get the BBK 78 mm TB/plenum, or the Trickflow combo. Both run around $260. I'm running a 75 mm Stack Racing TB that I got for <$100, and it works perfectly fine. I see absolutely no sense in spending $400+ on a TB/plenum.

In the end, I'd first spend money elsewhere. There is a much bigger gain in exhaust or gears or a programmer than in a TB/plenum. Now, if you have all those things done, and want to spend another $200-$300, then by all means get one. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Oh, and to your original question. Get the 75 mm TB, assuming it isn't any more expensive. There is absolutely no downside, and will allow room to grow if serious mods come into play in the future.

That's the answer to the magical question :). Do all the "critical" mods first, then if you have left over cash and are striving for every last ounce of HP, do the TB/Plenum mod.

i'm just relaying info from the data they collected. argue with the dyno i guess :shrug:

I know, just giving you grief since you're an older member lol, but dyno readings should be taken with a grain of salt.

That's the answer to the magical question :). Do all the "critical" mods first, then if you have left over cash and are striving for every last ounce of HP, do the TB/Plenum mod.

I know, just giving you grief since you're an older member lol, but dyno readings should be taken with a grain of salt.

You don't know what you're talking about.

MAC o/r h-pipe = advertised 25 hp
MAC cat-back = advertised 15 hp
MAC CAI = advertised 20 hp
Cams = advertised 30 hp
Plenum and TB = advertised 15 hp

Therefore, if you take my stock 225 hp and add 25 + 15 + 20 + 30 + 15 I have a grand total of 330 hp. :banana:

That my friend, is what you call winning :nice:

:leaving:

My car came with a Dragon 75mm TB/Plenum. Looks nice :)

Mods/numbers in sig.

IMG_0865.jpg

Gears are the biggest bang for your buck mod there is for these cars, period. Exhaust is a nice piece as well as a short throw shifter, but gears is the best thing you can do if you haven't yet. I think everyone has said that already and if you haven't driven a higher geared mustang well, you won't understand.