Throttle rod / Kickdown question w/pic

damannhw

Aug 14, 2003
Upstate SC
Need a little help ! Does anyone know the correct distance between the "offset" in the throttle rod and the kickdown bellcrank ? (SEE PIC) I'm doing an engine swap using Edelbrock intake and carb(originally 2 barrel). I have my throttle rod working properly, but it never engages the kickdown. I have 2 1/4 " between them, but I don't have my old engine to measure what I actually need !! Also, do 2 and 4 barrels use the same throttle rods ? Thanks
View attachment 476687

• Sponsors (?)

I could never get the bend to engage so I got a set of assorted springs from Autozone, drilled three additional holes in the lever, and experimented with sping tension and legnth till I got one that would kick down at the proper time. I like mine to downshift a little earlier and it works great.

easy thing to do have some one mash the throttle while you adjust it. the measurement for a 65 2 barrel is 2 in i believe. Much easier to hold it to the floor and adjust until the kickdown engages. There is an adjustment point on the transmission.

I just took mine off and use the shifter to down shift when needed. I believe the edlebrock carb screws up alignment.

How did you connect the throttle rod?

mustangman1974 said:
easy thing to do have some one mash the throttle while you adjust it. the measurement for a 65 2 barrel is 2 in i believe. Much easier to hold it to the floor and adjust until the kickdown engages. There is an adjustment point on the transmission.

I just took mine off and use the shifter to down shift when needed. I believe the edlebrock carb screws up alignment.

How did you connect the throttle rod?

Cool, I'll check to see if I can find that trans adjustment point. Yes, you're right about the alignment. Going from a 2 to a 4 barrel may have thrown it off ? I connected the throttle rod just like original. I had to buy a different plastic throttle clip for the Edelbrock, but it works great. I'll take another pic tonight for you.