Throw out bearing going bad?

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
My transmission has always had a small whine to it when in lower gears, but recently it has acquired a much louder whine in every gear and its getting very hard to shift.

I noticed that when at idle in neutral, it makes a rattling sound as if it was the throw out bearing going out. When I push in the clutch and ease the shifter into gear, the rattling noise kinda grinds to a stop when the shifter goes into gear. Is this something the throw out bearing would do? I just hope it's not the tranny.

• Sponsors (?)

Definately not the tob. A bad tob will make a rumbling sound if you push in the clutch but will not hamper shifting into a gear. Tob dont wear down, clutches do. WHen u push the clutch in, the tob will press against the pressure plate and in turn release the clutch disk from the flywheel. During this process, if u feel vibration and or noising bearing sound it will be the sign of a bad tob. Other than that if you have your clutch cable adjusted properly your tob will just sit there on the retainer sleeve and not do a dam thing. How is your clutch? How old is it? If i was u, i would start with a oil change in the tranny and replace with a good quality oil. If non of that works, im sorry to say but you may have transmission issues

Sounds like you might need a transmission!! T/O beairngs usually just squeak, but the trans still shifts good. Whining will usually happen through an aftermarket shifter because they carry more noise, but if it is getting louder and stiff to shift...look out!! Don't take a long road trip!

Wonderful, there's nothing more I need in my life right now than my transmission to go out on my only car I have to drive!

If I was just going to do a rebuild, should I just buy this kit?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-7005A 1&comp=LRS

That is, if none of the gears are chipped or anything. Because I know I would have to replace all that **** separately.

Before you do that, you should take it to a mechanic that you TRUST and is not going to say u need a new trans if you dont really need one. Tell him to take a right with you and let him drive. What can it hurt right. I dont recommend a transmisssion shop because you know dam well what they will say. They always want to rebuild something.

Also post around on several different stang forums that your looking for a t5. I just sold my 65k original mile t5 that was mint to a guy on corral.net for 250 bucks. Guy came and picked it up. I think there are probably a lot of guys that upgraded to a tremec tko and have there old t5 sitting in there garage