Throwout Bearing Question

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Ok, hopefully we can settle something with this thread. I just did a clutch job on my car, got it all back together.

I ASSUMED the throwout bearing is not supposed to contact the pressure plate at all times, therefore so it doesn't spin 100% of the time, thus increasing its service life.

With the new setup, there's ZERO possibility of the TOB not touching the pressure plate and having a properly adjusted clutch. If I adjust the clutch to the point where the TOB does not ride on the PP, I doubt I could even get the trans in gear.

With the clutch adjusted comfortably, the TOB no doubt is resting on the PP, but has a little pre-load on it as well. So I started doing research. Most answers were "no, the TOB should not rest on the PP when the clutch pedal is not depressed".

This is all I saw, until I ran across a thread on another Mustang board that had an excellent post. It basically stated that yes, the TOB does rest against the pressure plate at all times. It should also have a slight pre-load on the plate, as when you having a TOB that chirps it's not the sign of a bad bearing, but actaully a sign the clutch is adjusted too lose and the TOB is bouncing on the pressure plate fingers.

This made 100% sense to me and made me forget about trying to even adjust things so the TOB did not touch the pressure plate.

Is this correct? There was no reasoning behind my assumption that the TOB was not supposed to contact the pressure plate. It wouldn't have mattered for me too look when I took this apart, as my TOB came out in pieces (yeah...).

• Sponsors (?)

yeah. my stock tob was chirping, i assumed it was the tob going bad, so i swapped in a ram clutch, frpp pilot bearing, frpp tob, and adjustable quadrant. when i adjusted the clutch to catch like stock, i still had a chirp. once i firmed up the pedal and took out the slop, the chirp went away and hasnt come back. go figure.