Engine Tick Tick Tick

jozsefsz

15 Year Member
Aug 11, 2013
Cleveland OH Area
Hey guys,

I've had a persistent tick which sounded like valvetrain noise for about the last year on my '95 5.0. It was only at cruise or idle, and couldn't be heard at higher RPM's. I thought injector ticking, but it was a bit too loud (easily heard echoing off the curb when driving), perhaps a failed spring (nope), or a faulty lifter (replaced those). I then went through a couple rounds of header gaskets too, chasing the problem. My car had the original heads, cam, valvetrain (springs, rockers, pushrods), and <80k original miles.

On further inspection, I found several of the rocker arms were pretty loose (was able to rotate and move the pushrods slightly with fully pumped up lifters). The original and apparently worn / warped stock stamped-steel rocker arms were to blame.

I replaced my rockers with some pedestal-mount, 1.7 ratio, roller rockers from Crane via Summit Racing. They work great (silent with a little more power on the top end), took up the slack perfectly, and fit under the stock valve covers without any trimming or adjustments.

Just thought I'd share for anyone hunting an annoying tick, it might just be your rocker arms. It was honestly the last thing I thought might be worn or warped.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)