Time for a new motor. What size should I go with?

What short block to get?

• 331 s/c

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 408w s/c

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 427 n/a

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Other (your choice)?

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im not sure how much power im pushing but the block is all stock out of a lincoln. It has like 130k on it now and has used oil for a while. Its used its 8th life and I know its only a matter of time. I am wanting to start a new build and just unsure about it since I never did anything more then bolt on parts. I think to play it safe 450hp/425tq would be a start. Not looking for more then 600 of each though.

So here is what I have in mind. 331 and a s/c, 408w and a s/c, or just a na 427w. My biggest thing is going to be bang for the buck. I would trade 100hp for 2 grand only cause I have so many other plans to do unrelated things and im not rich. Only I dont want to get it done and wish I did something else.

What would u guys recommend? I can get a short block from the scrap yard for $100 and build it myself or just buy a short block. Is the savings worth the risk to build myself or should I buy a complete short block already done? I would also have to buy a few tools that I don not already have to build a short block myself.

This will most likely be the last build I ever get to do unless I strike it rich. I like the idea of keeping the carb out of the picture, but is fi going to be affordable with a Windsor block?

• Sponsors (?)

When you say "427" are you talking about a 4" stroke and a 4.125" bore in an aftermarket block, or a 4.030" bore and a 4.18" stroke in a stock block?

FWIW, I've heard a few engine builders, including Woody over at Ford Strokers, say that they don't like to go over a 4" stroke in a stock Windsor block.

Anyway, my vote would be for the 408, but I'm curious: why no 347 option?

For your power goals? I say 408 NA, thats not a choice but thats what i would do. A 408 with a blower is going to be EXPENSIVE. A NA 408 built right will make well past your power goals and require less maintenence and your wallet will thank you.

In a perfect world this is how id build it.

408 forged shortblock
Trick flow 225cc high ports
Super Victor EFI intake
Custom cam
Shaft rockers
1 7/8 to 2" stepped headers
Accufabe 4150 style Throttle body
and id throw like a 200 plate from either applied nitrous solutions or induction soluions under the TB for good measure.

For your power goals? I say 408 NA, thats not a choice but thats what i would do. A 408 with a blower is going to be EXPENSIVE. A NA 408 built right will make well past your power goals and require less maintenence and your wallet will thank you.

In a perfect world this is how id build it.

408 forged shortblock
Trick flow 225cc high ports
Super Victor EFI intake
Custom cam
Shaft rockers
1 7/8 to 2" stepped headers
Accufabe 4150 style Throttle body
and id throw like a 200 plate from either applied nitrous solutions or induction soluions under the TB for good measure.

:drool:

How much are you truly looking to spend? I don't see a parts list of what you have in your sig so we don't know what you have or can re-use.

Since you sound like money is important, i'd scratch any supercharged off the list.

Build the shortblock yourself? Ya, if you want to keep burning oil.

Since it appears that money matters in this case, my first thought would be a 347, cnc wedges or afr 185s, custom cam, and victor efi intake. Done right it's good for 425rwhp.

Build the shortblock yourself? Ya, if you want to keep burning oil.

Are you seriously saying you don't know how to build a shortblock yourself that doesn't burn oil? Is this really the generation that only knows how to gain power by swapping engines and not building them?:nonono:

Are you seriously saying you don't know how to build a shortblock yourself that doesn't burn oil? Is this really the generation that only knows how to gain power by swapping engines and not building them?:nonono:

Unfortunately for me, my engine was in a 1000 pieces when i got it. So it went to a qualified machine shop for blue printing, balancing and everything else that should be done when an engine is assembled.

I've seen more than my share of home built engines self destruct, having friends in the business. Something i have no interest in.

At this point i consider it fact rather than opinion that home built engines don't last, especially when you add boost or rpm to them.

when you hang around a shop that fixes peoples mistakes for a living of course you will hear all kinds of horror stories. Im not saying its for everyone but with patience and soid machine work as a base there is no reason a person could assemble the bottom end themselves. theres plenty of home built motors out there running great

Not everyone has a ton of money for a shop to build there car

when you hang around a shop that fixes peoples mistakes for a living of course you will hear all kinds of horror stories. Im not saying its for everyone but with patience and soid machine work as a base there is no reason a person could assemble the bottom end themselves. theres plenty of home built motors out there running great

Not everyone has a ton of money for a shop to build there car

While that may be true, any stroker engine is going to require machine work.
The machine work is a good chunk of the money, Paying a guy hundreds to balance, hone, bore an engine, then trying to save a couple hundred by assembling yourself really makes no sense. Especially when that money goes to someone that does it every day and is less likely to mess things up.

On the other side of the coin sometimes it can be hard to find a good machinist and you can pay someone good money fo screw things up. Around here there are no good machine shops within 1.5 hours of where i live. Some people like to do it for the satisfaction of building a motor themselves. I'd like to do it just because

At this point i consider it fact rather than opinion that home built engines don't last, especially when you add boost or rpm to them.

Man, that is credit-card-hobbyist attitude at its finest.

EVERY engine builder started out by putting together engines himself, not by paying others to do it for him.

To tell people that they CAN'T be successful in building engines at home is just completely asinine and extremely misleading.

I guess somebody should tell Woody over at Ford Strokers that his DIY program is doomed! LOL!

if i ever build a big stroker motor im not even going to bother with a stock block...

but for what its worth a buddy of mine dave who runs x275 with us is running a stock windsor block and has been 5.3's

Man, that is credit-card-hobbyist attitude at its finest.

EVERY engine builder started out by putting together engines himself, not by paying others to do it for him.

To tell people that they CAN'T be successful in building engines at home is just completely asinine and extremely misleading.

I guess somebody should tell Woody over at Ford Strokers that his DIY program is doomed! LOL!

A. I assure you, i put more time and energy into my project than most here. Only thing i didn't have a hand in was machining and assembling the short block, why should i? I have better people than myself to do it.
What next write my own prescription for eye glasses? Cut my own hair?
Some things are better left to professionals, and i happen to believe a shortblock that you want to last is one of them.
B. Who here that thinks building their own engine is a good idea, actually built their own stroker engine?

Did you build your car or did BDperformance build it? Cause the dyno video on youtube certainly seems like they are saying they performed the whole swap...

A. I assure you, i put more time and energy into my project than most here.

I don't doubt that.

Only thing i didn't have a hand in was machining and assembling the short block, why should i? I have better people than myself to do it.

Be careful where you go with that, you could really apply that logic to farm out the entire build of the car.

What next write my own prescription for eye glasses? Cut my own hair?

I believe you need a pretty fancy degree to write prescriptions, but I do know plenty of people who cut their own hair, and prefer it that way.

Some things are better left to professionals, and i happen to believe a shortblock that you want to last is one of them.

A professional might be more qualified to do it, but there is no reason that an individual with the right tools, research, and patience can't achieve respectable results, and dare I say, similar results with a little bit of hard work.

You can close your eyes and hand an engine builder your credit card, that's totally fine. Just don't tell other people that it's the only way to go, because it's not.

B. Who here that thinks building their own engine is a good idea, actually built their own stroker engine?

My engine is not a stroker, but I "built" it myself, down to every last nut, bolt, ring and bearing. I measured clearances, I degreed the cam, I measured combustion chamber volume, I measured endplay, I followed torque step procedures, I did the whole 9 yards. If I end up blowing it up at some point, then I'll investigate it and learn from my mistakes. Then when I'm ready to put a different engine in the car, I will build it, too, as well as any engine after that.

I also took a part in specifying my cam specs, something else most would say is better left to professionals. It's my car and I just like to be educated and involved in every step of the process, and I'm sure I'm not the only one with that attitude.

B... the guy who build the motor for the race car does it in his garage... he doesnt do the machine work but everything after that he does.

he does a 600+" BBF making well north of 3000hp also in there. id put his engine building skills up against any engine builder to be as goor or better.

Did you build your car or did BDperformance build it? Cause the dyno video on youtube certainly seems like they are saying they performed the whole swap...

You could say it was a collaboration. My plan, layout and hard work, his direction and shop. No money changed hands. If you visited the shop on a day i was there, you may of thought i worked there.
I've known him for just under 20 years now.
They did the video just like they do all the videos at their shop.

Things i didn't do were any aluminum welding and build the shortblock.

If you guys want to build your own shortblocks, that's fine, but if you think you should suggest that to everyone you are out of your minds.
BTW, there is quite a few guys that race that do NOT build their own engines, doesn't mean they didn't build their car, just one aspect of it.

Pretty cool that BD let you use his shop, but i have to agree with what Nik said earlier, "there is no reason that an individual with the right tools, research, and patience can't achieve respectable results"

If you can read a micrometer, use a torque wrench and keep things clean there is no reason you couldnt do it.

Granted ive never assembled a bottom end, but ive degreed a cam, sucessfully changed the installed height of springs, and tested the valve springs to get the correct installed height for the pressure that was required for my camshaft. These things are just as complicated and important to get right as anything in a motor, and it wasnt rocket science