Time for Gears + Subframes?

DRock9

Aug 22, 2006
How long would it take a shop to weld on subframes and install gears? They charge 50/hr to do any welding and 65/hr to do mechanic work so I was wondering how much it would be in the end because I dont know how long it would take a shop to do both.

Should I also have him rebuild the trac-loc while he is in there? What is the minimal parts I should replace while he is doing this?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I think you'd be better off finding a shop that will do it for a flat rate rather than per hour. The subframes aren't that big of a deal, but the gears can be complicated and time consuming and you may end bending over for them to get it done.

Oh, and yes, get the trac-lok rebuilt while the gears are being done. it just makes sense.

It took my local performance muffler shop between 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours to carefully and correctly weld in my Maximum Motorsports Full Length subframe connectors.

Time will vary depending on whether they are the longer full length or standard length.

Yea I was hoping they would give me a flat rate, I am going to call them back sometime soon and tell them that if they expect to charge me over $300 for the gears or $150 for the SFC's they shouldn't expect my buisness. I usually stand by while people work on my car for the stuff i cant do myself, so I don't mind staying to make sure they actually work the whole time and don't bull**** me come bill time.

Anyone have a time frame on gears?

go to mustang magic in LI, its worth the trip, they are the cheapest gear install you will find for a long ways and they do awesome work. They do gears for $415 including using their own Ford racing gearsets and speedo gear. Subframes is like 225 or something using MM subframes welded and bolted in.