Time to build Rear end. What do i need?

KJ Hoppus

Mar 18, 2003
Elk Grove CA
I have FRPP 4.10s already so no what gear to get crap, but i do want information on everything else that i need. i am going 31 spline, but do i want to get Cclip elims or not and what kind of posi do i get? I have a very used 31 spline TrakLoc out of lincon rear end, but it is worn out. Does any sell a kit to rebuild it with new spider gears and everything? Also i need a kit that has shims, bearing, seals and everything else to do it. Any information would be very helpfull. I did a search, but everything that came up was about gear choices.

• Sponsors (?)

- C-clips are not needed. They are really only for cars with drum barkes or that are really fast.
- Better off getting a new diff. I have a Eaton, but I heard they are in short supply right now. If not just buy a new truck 31 spline trac loc from someone like GEF Racing.
- I bought a Strangle Axle and Gear Brand overhaul kit from Summit for $85. It got the job done, but I was not overly impressed with it. You might want to try one of the more expensive kits, or go buy the parts from Ford.

Alright. I got my 31 spline axles from http://www.need-4-speed.com/moser.htm and I got my 31 spline trac-lok from www.stangstore.com Its a 31 spline truck differential like what Slider was talking about. Thats probably where you will get it for the cheapest at too.

I also got me a set of OEM Ford 4.30 gears w/ a full bearing and seal kit from Randy Stinchcomb at Liberty Ford. The bearing as seal kit comes with all the bearings, seals, shims, etc. that you need. You can contact Randy over at www.modulardepot.com I also got a new set of ABS exciter rings for my ABS system from him as well instead of using the factory ones.

The only other thing I can think of you'll need is 2qts. of differential fluid and some friction modifier. You might want to look into getting an aluminum driveshaft w/ a safety loop as well for your car.

EDIT: Just earlier today I ordered a new rear differential girlde from Moser. It costed 176 bucks to ship it to my door and it comes with all the studs and things you need. Although this is not a "must have" part, it will give more support for your rear end and by increasing fluid capcity will extend gear life. You can contact Moser at www.moserengineering.com

Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

Dark Knight GT said:
Not unless if you intend to delete your ABS system. If you get the axles from where I got them, they come ready for use with the ABS system so you dont have to delete it.

so if i go with c clip elims my abs wont work? whats the advantage to going with c clip elims?