Timing 101

• Sponsors (?)

Detonation is hard to hear over a loud exhaust. Too much spark advance actually will reduce power output. Run a max of 14 degrees and plan to run 93 octane all the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Running extra advance might make the throttle response feel more peppy at lower rpms but it will hurt your power output at higher rpms. For best performance, these small blocks need tuning that produces best output at higher rpms.

Most run the best at 14*. My old 89' liked 15* the best and I always ran 93 octane. This is obviously related only to n/a cars. Boost/nitrous is entirely different. If you are running 18* you should check your plugs and make sure you're not detonating. There really isn't any extra power with that much timing advance and really is not advisable. Most tuners want you to set it at the stock 10* and they will adjust the timing/fuel curves with the computer.

Great, thanks guys. I'm not running it at 18* by any means but didn't hear any detonation and didn't go higher as I thought I'd seen on here somewhere about 15* being about high as you should go. I'm running 15 now and 93 all the time. I do have a one fogger wet nitrous system but use sparingly and am way conservative on timing when in use until I have re-tuned. I have an SCT chip that will hold 4. 125-150 max on spray btw.
Thank you gentlemen!!

No no. 15* base on motor. 10* with a .054n and .032f in nozzle, sorry that was worded poorly.
Pressure at 1000lbs and it kinda "surges, like drops off and comes back" even after I'm sure I'm getting all liquid to solenoid. I'm told that's because too much fuel or not enough timing but again I'm not messing with it. I will let pro dyno set it right with a "nitrous tune"

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, guys, I have followed this advise for years, my 82 is set at 8 or 10 because it was set for a small shot. Runs 12.90 or so like this, carbed, na.

In an alternate world I visit regularly, people say to run 14 to 18 deg base timing, limit 36 or so, and the 350 in my 66 Chevelle works fine with 18 deg. No detonation at all, and on 87 gas.

Anybody got an explanation. The current Chevelle motor is 9 to 1 at most. Stock 75 iron heads.