Timing Advance

• Sponsors (?)

i like 10-12 initial and 36-38 total all in by 3000 rpm.

I agree. I'd start with the numbers above.

Of course, timing will change with each engine/combo. Having said that. 20* initial is WAY too much in most cases, and usually you don't want full advance before 3000RPM. A lot of people will suggest to wait until 3500RPM for full advance just to be safe.

I agree. I'd start with the numbers above.

Of course, timing will change with each engine/combo. Having said that. 20* initial is WAY too much in most cases, and usually you don't want full advance before 3000RPM. A lot of people will suggest to wait until 3500RPM for full advance just to be safe.

i agree that all in by 3k is pushing things a bit. i used to like all in by 2500, but the lighter fluid we use as fuel today wont handle it.

I am no expert but I do follow a lot of what this guy says at Bad Ass Racing Engines. He has a HUGE tech tip section with all kinds of subjects. I put a link to that page and another link to one on timing. I am not sure if what he says applies to you guys, but it seems to be good info anyway.

Link to his tech page: General Engine Tech Tips

Link to the article about timing: Where should I set the timing on my performance engine?

I learn a lot from this guy. I can't use half of what he says though because my car isn't even CLOSE to being a performance car. Mine's just a daily driver.