Timing and octane question

Icepick

Founding Member
Jul 30, 2002
Ft Lauderdale
On my setup i'm running 16* timing btdc on 87 octane with no pinging, i didnt even bother trying to go higher to see if it would ping i just stopped at 16. Is this normal? I thought to run this timing i would need higher octane. Is this because my car might be running rich as hell?

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe you just have a really good quality gas in the car I suppose running a tad rich could help detonation... But I tend to think you just have really good, clean, quality 89 Octane in there.

For instance, with the old T Type, it was fussy and Sunoco 94 was what it drank. One night I was low, went to 7-11 pumped in 10 bucks of 91 octane [car was literally on "E"]. Boost was set at 17 PSI in 3rd... [had some boost creep]. I was getting about 8* of knock retard around 85 MPH in 3rd on the scan tool, so I turned the boost down to 15 PSI and the car was fine no knock... didnt run as fast as at 17 PSI but still. I was surprised because usually the 91 octane stuff all over town was junk and I could get away with maybe 11 PSI tops. 7-11 unknown brand gas and I was boosting 15 PSI.. :shrug: