Timing And Plug Suggestions

smkshw

5 Year Member
Feb 12, 2010
just want to get a few opinions if i can,i have my timing set at 14,94 octain,runs good with no detonation that i can tell,i changed out the distributor so im not sure what the tuner had it set at,just wondering what the sweat spot for other people here is?, read some running as high as 16-18?,is it even worth it to play with the timing?,or should i just leave it be?....also what plugs you recommend?....thanks

331 stroker
afr185

• Sponsors (?)

I generally run about 12-deg on 91 octane with about a 10.5:1 compression ratio. I've gotten away with more timing, with higher octane fuels, but I don't like the way the car drives with too much ignition timing. Great if you're romping on it all of the time, but it gets really jerky under cruise and light throttle, low RPM driving when too far advanced.

Reactions: 1 user
I generally run about 12-deg on 91 octane with about a 10.5:1 compression ratio. I've gotten away with more timing, with higher octane fuels, but I don't like the way the car drives with too much ignition timing. Great if you're romping on it all of the time, but it gets really jerky under cruise and light throttle, low RPM driving when too far advanced.
i hear you,im going to do a few rips down the track soon and i wanted to get all i can out of it.....some people say to up the timing until the top speeds stops increasing?...car run great, i just want to get all i can out of it while im there...and my car is loud so listening for pre detonation will be hard...just curious what you veterans do...mine is 10.1:1

i hear you,im going to do a few rips down the track soon and i wanted to get all i can out of it.....some people say to up the timing until the top speeds stops increasing?...car run great, i just want to get all i can out of it while im there...and my car is loud so listening for pre detonation will be hard...just curious what you veterans do...mine is 10.1:1
Easiest way to detect detonation by ear is to find a bit of a stretch and crawl along in 3rd or 4th gear at as low an RPM as your car can tolerate. Once you're there, roll into the throttle quickly and listen. You shouldn't have any trouble distinguishing it....it's pretty apparent.

Easiest way to detect detonation by ear is to find a bit of a stretch and crawl along in 3rd or 4th gear at as low an RPM as your car can tolerate. Once you're there, roll into the throttle quickly and listen. You shouldn't have any trouble distinguishing it....it's pretty apparent.
ok thanks for the tip,i was kinda doing the same thing on a hill,but not from low rpm,didnt hear nothing,i will try that also thanks.