Engine Timing Chain Issues

Just had my heads rebuilt. Putting timing cover on and crankshaft tone ring sticks out to far. I ordered timing kit for 97 4.6 but the crankshaft gear is thicker than the factory. Also the engine is not the original one to the car. Was changed before I bought it. Any help would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Pictures would be nice.

But are you aware that the Crank shaft timing Gear does have a shoulder and does have a correct orientation.

The trigger wheel also has a correct orientation.

Did you take picture before dis-assembly?

Should we assume this a 1997 GT? One of the questions/possibilities is that a different motor has been installed. IF this is a PI motor, we should expect problems if the timing set from a non-PI motor has been used. Again this is where pictures and head and block casting numbers could help.

Pictures would be nice.

But are you aware that the Crank shaft timing Gear does have a shoulder and does have a correct orientation.

The trigger wheel also has a correct orientation.

Did you take picture before dis-assembly?

Should we assume this a 1997 GT? One of the questions/possibilities is that a different motor has been installed. IF this is a PI motor, we should expect problems if the timing set from a non-PI motor has been used. Again this is where pictures and head and block casting numbers could help.

Don't know what PI and non-PI are. I'm a push rod guy just getting into the mod motors. The crankshaft gear is on correct. The only side with timing mark facing out. The crankshaft position tone ring is facing with the word "rear" facing rear. I'll try to get a picture of it to load up. Not quite figured this thing out.

1472408563897-24827217.jpg
see the difference ?

I see the difference and that sucks since you got it all together. Must be a year diff like you spoke about it maybe being a diff year engine. Other than using the old one or finding a timing cover that will clear, seam to be screwed. Maybe someone with more exp will chime in.

The 1999-2004 GT uses 4.6 SOHC PI heads. The intake ports are square'ish.

The 1996-1998 uses 4.6 SOHC non-PI heads. The intake ports are round tear drop shaped.

Since you just had the heads re-worked, you should know which type (PI or non-PI) that you have. Not really possible to put this motor back together correctly without knowing this information.

The new crank timing gear does not appear to be stock. Is it "adjustable"?

Last edited:
The 1999-2004 GT uses 4.6 SOHC PI heads. The intake ports are square'ish.

The 1996-1998 uses 4.6 SOHC non-PI heads. The intake ports are tear drop shaped.

Since you just had the heads re-worked, you should know which type (PI or non-PI) that you have. Not really possible to put this motor back together correctly without knowing this information.

The new crank timing gear does not appear to be stock. Is it "adjustable"?
No. It is the one that came with the new kit. The intake ports are square with an injector relief. I looked on the head and couldn't find the PI located on them

You aren't going to find PI on the casting. Use google and look up the casting numbers that appear on the side of the head. As stated before the non-PI heads will have a tear drop shape. IF square'ish this is a PI head.

The picture looks like non-PI to me.

This really shouldn't be this hard as it should be straight forward. Where did you get the replacement parts from?

Are those the old chains in the picture? They look good.

It's really not that bad to re-use the gear especially if there really isn't any wear.

You aren't going to find PI on the casting. Use google and look up the casting numbers that appear on the side of the head. As stated before the non-PI heads will have a tear drop shape. IF square'ish this is a PI head.

The picture looks like non-PI to me.

This really shouldn't be this hard as it should be straight forward. Where did you get the replacement parts from?

Are those the old chains in the picture? They look good.

It's really not that bad to re-use the gear especially if there really isn't any wear.
Not old ones. That's the new set. The factory crankshaft gear has some wear mainly rub marks from chain.

Just wondering. Did you time the motor yourself? Are the crank gears the two piece units? Did you position the off set shoulders to the inside as in the attached picture?

Attachments

• 98-crank-gear.gif
    98-crank-gear.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 120