timing chain tensioner oil hole (LOOK)

98COBRA281

10 Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Port St. Lucie, Florida
so i just got my car back together from a cam swap. im going turbo soon so i went with them MHS stage 2 turbo cam. so when i took my motor apart i noticed that i had some wear on the timing chain guide on the driver "L" side of the motor, which i thought was odd because it only has 8700 miles on it

DSCN1618.jpg

so i got to looking and noticed that only the passenger side tensioner had a oil hole in it, to oil the timing chain, and the driver side did not??!?!?! just a dimple in it:shrug: at first i thought it was wrong, but after some research i found out that ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THAT! BTW ive taken many modular's apart before and mine over 15 times and never noticed it!

DSCN1617.jpg

so i wanted to some how make the driver side have the oil hole also, at first i thought about using two passenger side tensioners, but they ARE DIFFERENT casting and will not work! so i pulled both tensiones apart to see the differences in them

DSCN1619.jpg

found a broken plastic piece in my tensioner also!

DSCN1622.jpg

the only thing that is different is the hole in it, and a black plastic oil restrictor in the piston of the tensioner, sits right on top of the spring

DSCN1620.jpg

so i went to a local junk yard, pulled a few passenger side tensioners off, took the parts out and cleaned them up!

DSCN1628.jpg

then used all the parts and rebuilt both of mine to have oil feed holes to the timing chain!!!

DSCN1630.jpg

i got the car all up and running today, everything is working great and i now know that both of my timing chains and guide's have a oil supply to them! and i figured i would do a quick write up if somebody runs into the same problem, or just wants the extra oil flow to the chain! so if you doing a cam swap soon you might want to swap your's also!!!!

:SN:

Attachments

• DSCN1618.jpg
    DSCN1618.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,929
  • DSCN1617.jpg
    DSCN1617.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 508
  • DSCN1619.jpg
    DSCN1619.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN1622.jpg
    DSCN1622.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 697
  • DSCN1620.jpg
    DSCN1620.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN1628.jpg
    DSCN1628.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 388
  • DSCN1630.jpg
    DSCN1630.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 976
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Wow, that's strange. When I did my cam swap a few months ago, I was thinking about replacing the tensioners along with the chains and guides. At Mr. Nick Mckinney's advice, I kept the stock tensioners. Now I see one of the probable reasons he advised that. :nice:

Wow, that's strange. When I did my cam swap a few months ago, I was thinking about replacing the tensioners along with the chains and guides. At Mr. Nick Mckinney's advice, I kept the stock tensioners. Now I see one of the probable reasons he advised that. :nice:

these are actually the OEM ford ones! all modulars, 4.6/5.4 2v and 4v only have the oil feed on the passenger side!