Timing Help

Spoooky11973

Aug 26, 2016
I brought my 90gt to have a new tranny put in. I also told my inlaw who was doing the job and had a garage with a lift to also set the timing for me because the dist hold down nut was loose. I get the car back and now the module is no longer at a angle like most every mustang,but now its facing straight across from fender to fender and now wont run with the spout connector plugged in.Please help. It surges like a beotch while idling until it just dies.

• Sponsors (?)

I brought my 90gt to have a new tranny put in. I also told my inlaw who was doing the job and had a garage with a lift to also set the timing for me because the dist hold down nut was loose. I get the car back and now the module is no longer at a angle like most every mustang,but now its facing straight across from fender to fender and now wont run with the spout connector plugged in.Please help. It surges like a beotch while idling until it just dies.
If you don't have a timing light, unplug the spout and pull #1 plug with finger over plug hole turn engine over untill you feel compression you should see timing marks on balancer stop at zero and look at the rotor it should be pointing at number one on dizzy cap or really close to it. That will get you in the ball park. If its not you need to pull dizzy and reset it. This is dependant on your level of mechanical ability. Mine points almost to the lower intake bolt on the drivers side. Probably confusing, mabe someone here has a picture to get you in the ballpark.

Pay no attention to how the TFI points as long as the timing is set at 10-14 degrees with spout out.

Theoretically, of the intake wasn't in the way you could plug the distributor in randomly and just rotate it around to the correct orientation.

If it's set to 10-14 degrees and you don't like the angle, pull the dust up and set the gear over a tooth and retime it

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't have a timing light and it is the stock intake and distributor, Ford made an arrow mark on the intake and a small notch mark on the lower distributor shaft . If you line them up you will be at 10 BTDC.

506241d1458137929-timing-mark-tfi_dist_ind_corr06.jpg

Attachments

• 506241d1458137929-timing-mark-tfi_dist_ind_corr06.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 722
  • 506241d1458137929-timing-mark-tfi_dist_ind_corr06.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: 1 user
I reset the timing and moved the rotor up,advanced it since the motor is a 347 to where it cracks the throttle nice.I can now plug in the spout and it will run with it in.Cleaned the salt and pepper shakers,egr valve,the other air intake valve on the tb etc. Runs like a raped ape but still surges at idle.The motor has bbk intake,70mm tb,bbk cold air,bbk fpr set at 42lbs,bbk fuel rails etc.The motor on the dyno with carb came in at 424 and 440 tq.The shop didn't have efi hookups for their dyno.So the surging is still a problem.