timing retard for superchargers?

atvcrazy

Jun 7, 2004
Eastman GA
I am pretty unclear about what has to be done to your car for supercharging. I have heard you have to retard the timing for it to work right. I ve also hear that you need custom computer tuning. Does this mean my hypertech will not work anymore? It keeps my speedometer correct. Im interested in the vortech S-trim. Can I just slap this thing on or is there lots of complicated things to do? Please help me. Oh Yeah, I have a 99 cobra with a 4.10, hypertech program, flows, and a KN CAI.

• Sponsors (?)

atvcrazy said:
I am pretty unclear about what has to be done to your car for supercharging. I have heard you have to retard the timing for it to work right. I ve also hear that you need custom computer tuning. Does this mean my hypertech will not work anymore? It keeps my speedometer correct. Im interested in the vortech S-trim. Can I just slap this thing on or is there lots of complicated things to do? Please help me. Oh Yeah, I have a 99 cobra with a 4.10, hypertech program, flows, and a KN CAI.

With your 99 cobra - you will need a custom chip burned on a dyno to be safe. Do not try to monkey around with an msd box for the newer cars! Those are good for the 5.0's but not for any 96+ car - there are too man other variables and sensors that work in conjunction together.

To answer your question, no you cannot just slap it on. Since you're obviosusly new to this, I would find a very reputable speed shop - preferably one who can burn you a chip when all is done - and stick with them. Let them advise you on the parts you will need so you do it right the first time! Search these forums - there's a huge amount of good info here. Sell your hypertech on ebay - it will not handle the job.

peace

I am having the same dilema as atvcrazy. I am planning on getting the vortech s-trim also, and I read that it comes with a chip. do I still need to take the car to the shop and have them custom tune it? i thought it would be ready to go from what i read in the manual for the supercharger.

You do get a chip....and Vortech tunes it pig rich and takes all the timing out to make it as safe as they can for doing a generic tune on a car that they will never see.

Do it right and get a custom tune where the shop can dial in YOUR car. There's a lot of variables with supercharging so go to a shop with experience on your particular car.