Timing vs Boost?

radartec

Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Northern CA
Ok,finally got my Mustang back from the shop where I was getting all my suspension goodies put on. Had my head ported and polished at the same time. But the question I have today is: What is better? To shoot for more timing advance without detonation or less advance but more boost? I was running at 12 degrees BTDC advance with 9 lbs boost and was barely detonating. I backed the advance down to 10 degress BTDC and and was able to run 10 lbs boost with no detonation. So which is the better setup? Can I go to 8 degrees BTDC and run 12 lbs boost? Would this do me any good? Is'nt more boost better?

• Sponsors (?)

radartec said:
was barely detonating. QUOTE]
Was this by ear?
Remember most detonation occurs at a frequency that the human ear can't pick up.

I'm guessing You're working on the carb motor?

In your case I would probably go to my telephone poll test. I have 2 tele-poles that I use to figure out a MPH to give you an idea of progress. Start from a complete stop and get your MPH at the second pole. At my poles you'll probably be in the 60-65 range. (62 for the lightning)
Make a bunch of runs at 10*@10psi and average them.
Then try 12@6-8*. Takes some practice but after you do it enough you'll be able to make multiple identical runs.

Stinger said:
I've heard of people gaining 25-30hp from 3º timing...3psi is probably 20-25...it's a real close call. Best bet is to take it to the track, get a gtech, or do as 351w said.

Stinger
Its funny you listed my sugestions last. :p

but yeah if you can get to a track in the winter time thats sounds better.

generally, more timing is better to an extent, but not when you arn't even getting into the efficiency island of your turbo. I would run as much boost as I could at 8*.
How's the water injection going? I would hook that up, and run 16lbs @ 12* of timing. :D

From the responses it looks like there is no clear cut way to tell unless I dyno it or take it to the track with various setups. As far as the water injection, I need to get a battery relocation kit so I can mount the pump in the hood area. I need the space that would be freed up for the reservoir and pump.

StangerJon said:
yeah I don't know how to quote but i have a q for stinger.

was that 25-30 hp from timing under full boost or all the time?

Well, it's probably about a 10% gain across the board which would equate to 25 or 30 at max hp and maybe 15-20 at boost onset (depending on how much power you are making of course).

Stinger

This thread got me thinking...

When I got my Dawes Devices mixture indicator, they said that it was only to be looked at under WOT situations. This usually means that you've got the gas to the firewall and the thing is revving like mad. Well...

I would think that any other tuning would be the same way: full on, going for broke. Right now my car has about 12* initial timing and I hear it ping every now and then, so I don't rev it too hard (never go much over 5k). But the midrange is GREAT! However, we're going for the BEST performance we can right? So why limit the revs? So here's what I'm going to do.

I'll try by backing off on the timing. I'll put it back to stock and see if it'll rev more with good results (less/no pinging). Maybe add more boost, too, if it works out. I know I probably need an adjustable cam gear, but that's a different thread.

Just thought I'd add that.

-Mike