Tint your own windows?

Should I try to tint my own windows or let a shop do it. Id rather do it myself if I could. From what Iv seen all you have to do is get some tint, spray the windows down with a real soapy water mix and place the tint on the windows. then cut off the access and squeege out the water/soap mix. I know it makes it easier to do the front and back windows outside of the car to cut them and get the shape then install it on the inside. Got any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

stephen4785 said:
Should I try to tint my own windows or let a shop do it. Id rather do it myself if I could. From what Iv seen all you have to do is get some tint, spray the windows down with a real soapy water mix and place the tint on the windows. then cut off the access and squeege out the water/soap mix. I know it makes it easier to do the front and back windows outside of the car to cut them and get the shape then install it on the inside. Got any ideas?

I dont think you dont want to tint your windsheild if thats what you're saying.

The side windows would be the easiest to tint. They arent convex.

The rear window needs to be done in 2 or 3 sheets that are cut to fit together (overlap and run a knife over the joint then remove the excess) If you try and use a single peice you will have nothing but bubbles because of the convex shape of the rear glass. Also you are right, cut the peices to rough shape on the outside of the rear window.

Pay to have it done. From what you wrote I don't think you have the ability to do it, at least not to a quality that I'm sure you want. The last 3 cars I had done only cost $140... and I got a lifetime warranty against fading, rips, tears, etc.

It's not terribley hard to do, but it does require time, patience and practice. The hardest part is makeing complete sure that everything is clean nothing sticking to the 35+ year old glass, working in a clean enviroment so to minimize any dust sticking to the film, etc etc... I'd say get a roll of film try it on one of the side windows and if your happy with the results keep going, if not peel it back off and take it to a shop. You'll only be out a lil time and the price of the tint, and you can chaulk it up to a learning experience.

67coupe351w said:
The side windows would be the easiest to tint. They arent convex.

The rear window needs to be done in 2 or 3 sheets that are cut to fit together (overlap and run a knife over the joint then remove the excess) If you try and use a single peice you will have nothing but bubbles because of the convex shape of the rear glass. Also you are right, cut the peices to rough shape on the outside of the rear window.

actually the rear window is being done in one piece these days, i have a friend in the business, by shrinking the film with a heat gun. this procedure has to be done with alot of care otherwise you will burn the film and ruin the piece.

the initial layup of the film is done on the outside of the glass, you have to make sure you do it so that when you remove the backing, the adhesive will lay up against the glass. tinting windows isnt hard, but doing it right requries alot of time(for the amature). the windows need to be as clean as possible, ANY dirt on the glass or on the gaskets will contaminate the adhesive. the fluid you use for working the film in place is a mixture of soap and water, my friend likes to use dawn dishwashing liquid in the water as is makes it easier to position the film when the glass is wet.

I've tinted 3 vehicles on my own.

And while they have come out "OK", they still arn't the quality of a professional job. I've tried everything I could think off.. but still managed to get small bubbles and other minor imperfections.

I'd take it in...

have a pro do it. not worth the hassle of trial & error.

I just got my 67 done. $70, full warranty, and the guy did an excellent job. He's tinted two other cars for me, and that tint lasted as long as we had the cars (several years) w/absolutely no problems.

If you want legal tint, it's probably worth it to get a shop to do it. It won't cost you much more, and you'll save the day's labor.

I tinted my own for the simple reason that I wanted 20% VLT tint, and the legal limit in VA is 35% on the back and 50% in the front. (They won't pull you over for it, but shops won't do illegal tint.) I've done 3 cars and I consider myself to be pretty decent at it. It does take a lot of time, expect to take at least 3-4 hours on the side windows, plus a couple more on the back, depending on whether it's a coupe or a fastback.

The key is, YOU CAN NOT HAVE TOO MUCH SOAP SOLUTION. Spray it on, spray it on some more, apply the tint, then keep peeling it back and spraying more on as you go. If it sticks and there's a bubble you can't easily squeegee out, spray more soap on. Other than that, be patient and allow yourself plenty of time. Expect to mess up and go through a couple rolls of tint if it's your first time.

I think Im leaning more toward going to a shop and have it done. Luckily in TX the only tint law's are for the driver/passenger doors and the front windshield. You can go as dark as you want on the rest.
GaPonyfar- The people that are doing tint jobs at the shop had to start somewhere. I wrote what I knew about it to see what other steps there are. I dont know how the hell anyone can judge if a person has the ability to do something or not by what they post.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T. Roosevelt