Tinted Windows

I've had my stang for two years now and the first thing I did was tint the windows. I used film that transmits 20% of the light because I wanted them to be pretty dark but still reasonable. I wasn't sure where to find out what the legal level was so after talking to some people I decided to ask a few of the local cops that I detailed cars for. They all said that I should be okay anywhere in PA as long as the driver is visible from a reasonable distance.

Well, for the first time in two years, I got pulled over by a county cop because of guess what: my windows. According to him they were waaaay too dark and that the law is based on the officer's discretion. He then also mentioned I was his 10th ticket in the last month for tint and that he was "sick of all the young kids flying around in their imports with black windows." So now I have a court date and a hundred some dollar ticket to deal with. Does anybody know what percentage I can get away with without another ticket from the jerk?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know what state you live in, but in almost every state the law is very clear on what percentages you can have on your windows at each location. I would check the vehicle code, the cop was full of **** and had something against kids...learn the laws, go to court, and fight the ticket. If you have any family or family friends who are lawyers or cops I suggest that you talk to them because they can help you a lot.

If you look it up and it turns out that you were in violation I suggest that you go to a professional shop in the area and get it switched out for a legal tint and then get a proof of correction from a local cop.

Good luck

Wow Ive never heard of that!!! I live in Mass and my buddy got his done professionally and when he went to get a inspection sticker they told him it was too dark. The limit here is, I think, 35%-which is what he got but I guess Ford used a glass on his thunderbird that had a tiny bit of tint so they failed him because he was a little over the limit. That sucked for him!!! I laughed at him for a while, then felt bad. Hehehe

im in AZ and i got 5%, love the look but gotta roll down my windows at night.... :rlaugh: .....i was in washington for a couple of months with the 5% tint and no cop said a thing about it, i think the grumpy ones are the only cops that pull u over. and the lawa vary from state to state, i think limos web site says all the state laws, i know washingtons are 35% and AZ has no restrictions from what it said.

up here in Canada it's pretty much the same way, different provinces different laws, but that cop just sounds unprofessional. Where's the mini voice recorder when you need it, eh? The fact that he said he was sick of kids and their imports is not only prejudicial, but unprofessional on enough levels for him to be packing up his desk anywhere up here.

Here's the lastest Update:

I talked to the cop today to find out why I still haven't gotten my citation in the mail yet which is another long story, but anyway, I tried asking him what the official percentage is and he gave me the same "officer's discretion." I have talked to a few other local police officers and based on the feedback I've gotten on here its 35% in PA. One of my friends told me if I stop by the police station, they have an official test that they do to check it that I'm going to try to find out more about.
Back to officer Butt-head, he told me he would drop the tint citation if I show up for the trial without ANY window tint on the stang. It looks like I'm just going to pull it off to make him happy and get this over with and then stick on some 35%. I'll keep digging for more information for everyone else

Besides having to go ruin all of my hard work and how good it looked, the worst part is that he referred to me and my poor baby as another one of the "kids zipping around in their IMPORTS" :chair:

:( Too bad you have to peel it off. I used to have a mini truck with limo tint. $50 fine from my friendly state cop that hated tinted windows. About a year ago, I paid $50 for a pro to put SunGuard 35% on my side windows and about 5 yrs ago the same guy put limo 5% on the back and quarter windows. Knock on wood no problems with Johnnie Law. 35% is not real dark, but you can tell that they are tinted. Should be ok with that, unless you find another dude wanting to give you :bs:
Good luck :flag: