tips on changing fuel filter?

Mar 31, 2005
does anyone have some useful tips on changing our fuel filter? I'm gonna change it within a month or so as long as the temp gets above the single digits!! I just don't want to wind up with a driveway full of 93 octane, or a car that smells like a sunoco station. Thanks, Kyle

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure you know, but make sure you relieve the fuel pressure before you take it off. I replaced the fuel filter on my truck once without doing that and I got an eyeful of fuel. That didn't feel good.

will the schrader valve near the fuel rail relieve the pressure in the rear part of the system??
Chilton's says that Ford does not recommend any regular maintence interval on the in-line fuel filter, however its just a good idea on an older vehicle, a vehicle bought "used", or when your car might hesitate and stumble,but cant be traced to ignition problems. I'm replacing mine at 100K since my car has the dreaded ping at stock ignition timing, and i dont know all of what i can do to fix it... might as well start somewhere.

will the schrader valve near the fuel rail relieve the pressure in the rear part of the system??
Chilton's says that Ford does not recommend any regular maintence interval on the in-line fuel filter, however its just a good idea on an older vehicle, a vehicle bought "used", or when your car might hesitate and stumble,but cant be traced to ignition problems. I'm replacing mine at 100K since my car has the dreaded ping at stock ignition timing, and i dont know all of what i can do to fix it... might as well start somewhere.

I did the thing in the rear, and it did not work too good. (gas in mouth) I would try the valve on the fuel rails.

Gas in the eyes and mouth.............. :eek: I just know that would happen to me with my luck sometimes. :D

I think I'll take mine to a local shop when the time comes. No sense going through that mess.

Anybody every use the 190 FRPP fuel pump assembly that supposedy comes all the internal parts? My gas guage doesn't work anymore and I've got over 155K miles, so there's a great chance that a new level would be in order. The 190 would be an upgrade from stock, too, and probably be ok with a 347 down the road.

But seriously, If you press the schrader valve or other methods you will just waste a bunch of gas and make a mess. If possible, park the car overnight and do it the next day W/O PRIMING THE FUEL PUMP!!! THe fuel system will depressurise itself during this time and now you just remove old and install new. It will still get messy tho so have a bunch of rags and a pan to catch the fuel. Later you can torch the rags for fun.:D