Tips on redoing the door panels...

MY door panels are ghetto as hell.... the guy i bought the car from put some 4x6 speakers in there and cut a hole, than he cut some wood out and stapled some screen over it for the speaker grill..... now this looks ****ty as hell and it needs fixed i want to redo the whole door panel. The wood backing has gotten wet on both sides and is warped also so i need tips and pics on how you guys redid your panels any help is appreaciated. I would like to switch to the 87-93 doors panels but i dont have any of the switches but that is besides the point. please tell me how to take it apart w/o destroying it making it worse than it already is...it wouldnt take much. Thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

You can drill out the rivits on the metal top that curves around and attaches to the door. Then you could buy some masonite and cut it to shape and cover it it vinyl to match your interior. Or you could do a little more. There are many ways to change or modify your panel once you start working on. I redid mine and added some speakers to the mix. Heres what they looked like.
581377_67_full.jpg

Sweet looking door panel where did you buy the material from?

89sleeper said:
You can drill out the rivits on the metal top that curves around and attaches to the door. Then you could buy some masonite and cut it to shape and cover it it vinyl to match your interior. Or you could do a little more. There are many ways to change or modify your panel once you start working on. I redid mine and added some speakers to the mix. Heres what they looked like.
581377_67_full.jpg

89sleeper said:
581377_67_full.jpg
How did you do that? masonite what is that?

I saw panels one time that had some diamond plate across the bottom. I thought about fixing the warped fiberboard backing, and putting some diamond plate across the bottom but i didnt know if this would look any less redneckish than my wonderful speaker grills

84blkstang said:
yea what exactly is masonite, is that the board backing on the panel? Also i would like as many different pics as possible for different ideas thanks again guys

The original backing is pretty much just pressed cardboard from what I can tell. Masonite is a hard thin material sort of like cardboard but much more dense. I think it has more glue/binder/epoxy or whatever it is that they use to hold the fibers together. It's about 1/8 to 3/16's of an inch thick and it makes an excellent replacement material for the original material. It's fairly cheap and you can pick it up at just about any home improvement store. If I remember correctly it comes in 4 x 8 sheets like plywood.

Black 93 Fox said:
What did you use for the mold that holds the speaker? Also what do you mean by a trim shop just like a fabric store???
I made trim rings with MDF. Then I made the panels out of thin wood and fiberglass. Then I covered it with the vinyl.

Not a fabric store. An auto trim store like trents99 linked.

on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to take apart the door panels and redo them? i really need new ones because as i said before mine are horrible. Is the board just rivited on? if so i just drill them out and put screws in them and it will be fine? thanks for all the opinions and if anyone has pics of redone door panels that would be great.