Tire Choice... Street And Strip

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I'm having a hard time deciding on a set of rear tires for my draglites. The car is my daily driver but I want it to hook on the street and the track. But also get at least a year (1o,000 miles) before I need a new set. I'm also trying to keep it under the $300 range. If you have a better selection, please add to it and where to get them.

I'm looking at:

Found both of these on eBay.

275/50/15 Nitto 555r vs. BFGoodrich Radial T/A Tire 275/60/15

• Sponsors (?)

The nittos drag radials are good, but when they start to get low on tread they are treacherous in the rain.
So you can expect about 5,000 safe miles out of them (that's not including track burnouts) and then another 5,000 that start to feel a little risky in bad weather.
If it wasn't a daily driver the second 5,000 wouldn't be so bad.

Then you better start thinking about rubbing.

I still currently have the quad shocks installed with no rubbing problems at all. So I am sure 295s would fit if I flipped or removed them. And my inside fender lip is already rolled just for insurance.

85rkyboby, I have 15x8 with 5.5" backspacing. The car is lowered 1.5 inches.

I have 5.71 17x9 gt500 wheels with 275 and they rub. Is this because backspacing. 2013-7-19 275s.jpg

I still currently have the quad shocks installed with no rubbing problems at all. So I am sure 295s would fit if I flipped or removed them. And my inside fender lip is already rolled just for insurance.

85rkyboby, I have 15x8 with 5.5" backspacing. The car is lowered 1.5 inches.

Nothing is a sure thing when the tires are that wide. I'd bet under certain circumstances they rub somewhere and there will be a possibility of losing the quads completely.
Once you buy tires, you own them, there is no second chance.

Personally, I wouldn't run any of them on the street. They're all out to kill you the moment the pavement gets wet, or sandy. The Nitto's would be the closest to streetable of the bunch...and wouldn't you know it, provide the least amount of traction.

Keep a spare set of wheels and buy a good set of Drag Radials for track days. I've had excellent luck with Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials in the past and would buy another set in a heartbeat!

Reactions: 1 user
I run the Nitto 555r's. I put about 5000 miles on mine and they are gone. That was about 20 track passes with burnouts, and probably just as many street burnouts as well. Not the greatest at the track, but I did cut .6 off my 1/8th mile with them vs. regular street tires. They are not bad in the rain either, just slow down and use your head.

Joe