Tire question?

schmelter721

Jul 27, 2011
I'm pretty new to this forum and have already posted in the newbie section but now I'm stuck with a question. I have a 1990 LX 5.0 that I would like to put 3:73 gears in and some stickey tires on. The list below are the mods on it.
AFR 185's
custom cam
Trick flow intake
75 mm throttle body
BBK cold air intake
aftermarket K-member
3:55's
crappy Kumho's that get no traction

My question is what tire should I use? I've been wanting to get some MT's 255/50/16 drag radials because I drive it on the street for fun. This car is not my DD so I don't mind putting drag radials on the back. And should I go ahead and upgrade to 31 spline axles immediately or will I be ok for the time being until I save up for them? Thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid questions. This has been bugging me for a while.

• Sponsors (?)

The Mickey Thompsons are probably the stickest tires and will work well. The axles and transmission are a crap shoot. Some people run amazing times on stock T5's and stock rearends....others blow them up with nearly stock engines. It looks like you are probably making about 350hp at the flywheel, maybe a little more. Thats tough on stock tranny and will be on a stock rearend if you are using sticky tires. If you can afford it, definetly upgrade the rearend and trans too. Oh yeah, if its not a DD and sees mostly strip or occasional cruising, I say go straight for the 4.10's.

Good luck with it.

I'm pretty new to this forum and have already posted in the newbie section but now I'm stuck with a question. I have a 1990 LX 5.0 that I would like to put 3:73 gears in and some stickey tires on. The list below are the mods on it.
AFR 185's
custom cam
Trick flow intake
75 mm throttle body
BBK cold air intake
aftermarket K-member
3:55's
crappy Kumho's that get no traction

My question is what tire should I use? I've been wanting to get some MT's 255/50/16 drag radials because I drive it on the street for fun. This car is not my DD so I don't mind putting drag radials on the back. And should I go ahead and upgrade to 31 spline axles immediately or will I be ok for the time being until I save up for them? Thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid questions. This has been bugging me for a while.

You won't NEED the axles right away with those tires, but I'd recommend you upgrade the axles and control arms as soon as finances allow.