Tire size question 215/60/15 front 235/60/15 rear?

All of my tires are cracked and while I was at the local junkyard today for other parts I noticed they had some nearly brand new 215/60/15 (2 of them) and 2 of the 235/60/15. I have an 86 gt 5.0 with the stock 15'' rims. I have searched for 3 hours and got minimal information. I know the stock size is 225/60/15 but I did see one situation where someone ran the 235/60/15's in the rear and the 215/60/15s in the front since the 235 ones are wider? Sorry for the rambling Im just wondering if they will fit properly and if my speedometer will be off? Id get the stock ones on all 4 corners but Im on a tight budget so I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me please?

• Sponsors (?)

215/60/15 will fit just fine. I had them on when i first got my stang with the Turbine 15'" wheels. Totally do-able, As you said if your on a tight budget do what you gotta do bro

No matter what, your speedometer will never be 100% accurate. So, the question is ROUGHLY how much will it be off.

Go to tirerack, and you can see some EXAMPLE tire diameters. I believe they also have a tire size calculator.

The EXACT model and year of the tire along with the EXACT rim and the EXACT tire pressure are just some of the factors involved in the actual tire diameter.

ALSO, unless you use 100% the EXACT tire (impossible to get now) and rim on a Fox, there is almost a 100% chance of interference issues.

There are at least THREE major changes that effect wheel clearance between 85 and 93. For an 86, you have the tightest.

ALSO, gee, opps, SORRY, I ******FORGOT****** to mention something SUPER MINOR like I rolled the fender lips, put more caster, used spacers, pushed the LIVING F******* OUT OF THE FENDERS, and if I go over a bump greater than 0.0000001", then the tire will scrape.
DUH!! Is that important???

So, IMHO, take ANY tire or lowering advice in the forums for what it's worth - pretty much worthless.

Hey, you're on a tight budget. If you want to waste your money on doing stuff because people pretty much NEVER mention SUPER MINOR stuff like ......., that's your choice.

Also, do a Google search for tire size calculator. There are now many websites that have javascripts to do the calculations.

But, again, realize that tire diameters are like pant sizes IN REALITY THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "A STANDARD". But, for a specific "size", they are often close. Also, like pants, there are MANY "RICER" tires out there with a "245" spec that are in reality thinner than a typical "215"! So, BFD if someone is running "305's", you need to know the tire MODEL AND YEAR (yes, many of the the same model varies sizes over the years).

Good Luck!
Four Eyes Rule! :)

In your trips to the junkers, see if you can score some 16" or 17" rims. Getting tires for 15" rims can be difficult at times since most don't use them anymore for bigger cars. I'll get lashed for this but there are allot of used tires shop around, give them a shot and see what you can find. I found some practically brand new police car take offs 225/60/16 Goodyears for $25 a pop installed n out the door. Heads up on the ricer tires, again....... when in a pinch you have options. maybe a little leg work but you can find good quality tires for decent $