Tire wheel combo on a 67 mustang?? Opinions?

BB67FB

Oct 11, 2004
Hello,
I have been trying to decide on what size wheels and tires to put on my mustang and have come up with this - front 17X8 4.75 offset, 245/45/17. rear - 17X8 5.25 offset, 255/45/17. sound about right? I have already looked at the tables posted on other forums and these are close, but dont exactly fit in the parameters listed. What size tires/rims/offset are you guys running? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Nick

• Sponsors (?)

@17*8/5.25 bs, the rear wheels will be inset by half an inch relative to the fronts, right? (if the axles are inline, I suppose)
With the increase in the backspace on the rear, I would go with a wider wheel as long as it does not exceed outer limitations...17*9 or so...
If you want the same width wheel all the way around, I would go w/the same backspace all the way around.

I've got 17x9.5 on the rear of my 67

I've got 17x9.5 on the rear of my 67 with 275/40s and 17x8 on the front with 245/45s. I can get some photos tomorrow if you like.
John

yes pics of the wheels and tires on the car!!!

67FBSCODE said:
I've got 17x9.5 on the rear of my 67 with 275/40s and 17x8 on the front with 245/45s. I can get some photos tomorrow if you like.
John

John - YES that would be great!! I would really appreciate it!!
nick

Photos

This is work in progress. I have more

Attachments

• misc 6544.jpg
    misc 6544.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 435
  • misc 452.jpg
    misc 452.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 377
more

I currently have it up on stands while I work on my floor pans and trans tunnel. I am currently installing a TKO 600. I can and will take some more from the under side this weekend. John

Attachments

• misc 334.jpg
    misc 334.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 352
  • misc 347.jpg
    misc 347.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 306
John,
what are the offsets of your wheels in back? where did you get them from? I like the way they fill out the wheelwells, that is just the look Im hoping to get, are you referring to the offset when you say backspace? and is that on the front and rear, or just the front? thanks! nick

Wheels

They all have a 4.5 inch back space that is measured from the mounting surface to the inside edge. I guess there is 4.5 to the inside and 5 to the outside of the rear wheels. I have 1" lowering springs on the front and they have rubbed when hitting a good dip in the road at speed. I'm not sure how much I can go inside on the front. The 17 " wheel will clear the upper ball joint where the 16" will not. I don't remember how close they are to the frame when turning. If there is room there I would go with a 5" backspace. I bought them from MTO Tire which is a local dealer. I had them made special with the 4.5 backspace. Cost was $350 each. The model is AR 405 Torq Thrust II with crome center. They will make any backspace you want.

Those tires are awesome!!! You were able to get 17x9.5 in the back!!?
What tire width maximum could you get back there before any rub at inner fender or outer? If the care were lowered, say 1.5" - 2"in the rear, would there be an issue with rubbing? :nice:

Hood Scoop is Boss 9 repop. I needed something that would cover the oval air cleaner on top of the 427 2x4 mr intake and i thought it would be a little different. It took quite a bit of grinding and sanding to get it to fit the contuor of the 67 hood. It's probable 3/8" shorter now.
The springs are new from Mustangs Unlimited. Front are 1" lowering and the rear have 1/4" more arc than the proper springs.
If the inner wheelhouse was massaged a little at the front lip it would be easy to fit 5 or 5.5 backspace wheels. Then you might lower it. The lip on the wheel opening could also be rolled some. John