tires/rims....pics...i need your help

98greenmachine

Arkan-SASS
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2001
on the west side in the big city
i need help!! those of you with upgraded rims, please post pics of your tires/rims....i am wanting some really wide tires in the back, with smaller ones in the front...like the old muscle car look. in concept, i want 17x9 in the front and 18x10 in the back. however, i don't know anything about this stuff really, and i need help. i don't want them so big that the tires stick out past the fenderwell. my car is a 98 model, if it matters...so, with that in mind, how big do the back tires need to be before this will happen? the tire place near my house quoted me for 235/45/R17 and 275/35/R18. these will be nitto tires, priced at $268 ea. for the back tires. is there anywhere cheaper that i can find these tires?? please help!! thanks so much! :D

• Sponsors (?)

www.tirerack.com - depending on where you live the shipping usually isnt too bad (they have a dozen shipping centers across the coruntry)

those rims are way too wide. wider than opra's as*. when shes fat. lol. if you put 9" wide rims on your front you are going to be rubbing up real bad...the stock on the 98 is a 17x8" front and back and I wouldn't go over 8" personally.

I'm thinking of going down to Summit and buying the 98 cobra wheels (there only 125 a pop) Cool or gay?

I'm guessing if you got those 10.5 tires are more expensive....and wear quicker? (Not being able to rotate)

98greenmachine said:
thanks guys....you've been a lot of help. :cool:

yeah, greenbioch....i am going to be getting black deep dish bullitt rims- you must have gotten my telepathic messages to have posted those pics.... :D

thats what I was gonna get...your copying me aren't you??

GREENBIOCH said:
thats what I was gonna get...your copying me aren't you??

no you're copying me!!! anyhow...they will still look good on our cars.... :D when are you ordering yours? mine will probably be ordered this week.

i'm going to get the 17x9/17x10.5 package i think....i have a friend w/a GT that has those sizes (i found out after i posted this) and it looks good, cuz they have 315's on the back- really wide.

98greenmachine said:
no you're copying me!!! anyhow...they will still look good on our cars.... :D when are you ordering yours? mine will probably be ordered this week.

i'm going to get the 17x9/17x10.5 package i think....i have a friend w/a GT that has those sizes (i found out after i posted this) and it looks good, cuz they have 315's on the back- really wide.

It won't be for a while, I'm not doing much to the car till next spring cause fall/winter is coming soon. So I will probably pick up a nitrous kit next spring first, then start on the suspension/wheel thing after that.

But I still think your copying me....yeah I know a guy with the chromed ones, they look good!!

PonyJoe said:
Stock on a 98 is 16x8, not 17x8. 9s will not rub, a lot of people on here have them. 9s would be in the 245 width range.

Bullitts are 17x8 and they take ~245 width, so 9's would take ~275's. My 255's on Bullitts are just about perfect in the front but I could use a some more in the back. Also, when turning slowly at full lock, my 255's rub in the front, and my friend's '03 Cobras 17x9's with 275's stick out a tiny bit in the front. So, 17x9's, assuming they are shod with 275's as they should be, may be too wide in the front. I know there is less width room in the back of pre-99s but I'm not sure about the front. You may want to check on that.

Edit: Here's a pic of my Bullitts with 255 Yokohamas just for comparison's sake.

Attachments

• BlackBeauty.jpg
    BlackBeauty.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 121
5-SpeedStallion said:
Bullitts are 17x8 and they take ~245 width, so 9's would take ~275's. My 255's on Bullitts are just about perfect in the front but I could use a some more in the back. Also, when turning slowly at full lock, my 255's rub in the front, and my friend's '03 Cobras 17x9's with 275's stick out a tiny bit in the front. So, 17x9's, assuming they are shod with 275's as they should be, may be too wide in the front. I know there is less width room in the back of pre-99s but I'm not sure about the front. You may want to check on that.

Edit: Here's a pic of my Bullitts with 255 Yokohamas just for comparison's sake.

those rims/tires look good in that pic. :cool: thanks for the info....i'll have to check on the size for pre99 stangs...somewhere....i dunno. who ever knew that this could be so complicated....lol so if i don't want rubbing in the front then i should get 17x8?

well, that leads me to another question....basically are all the sn95 models (v6, gt, and cobra) the same as far as inch for inch- like for what wheels will fit and everything??? b/c i saw in this month's issue of 5.0 that a sn95 (cobra if i remember right) and it had the 18x10 rims in the back that i originally thought about- but it gave me a good picture of what it would look like. i hope this makes sense....if anyone knows the answer....??? but it would help me to know what rims/tires COULD fit on my car, you know?