Tires

jas142

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
How much will drag radials help with gaining traction? Not full slicks, but street tires. What is a good STREET tire for the back that won't kill the driveability but will allow for me to grab some better acceleration and pick up a few tenths in the 1/4?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Both Nitto and BFG make great drag radials. I like the Nitto better but they are slightly more picky on the "perfect" burn out procedure. Mainly just do a 2nd gear burn out untill they start to haze and go straight to staging with no "dry hops" will work great with either brand.

jas142 said:
Do drag radials help with street performance at all?

Oh yes...i have 315/35/17 BFG drag radials and I can do a 5000 rpm launch with little or no tire spin. Me and my best friend who drives a 01 LS1 race all the time against each other. it went from him usually beating me pretty good, unless i got lucky somehow. To me putting 3 cars on the launch on him...it consistently takes him up to 100mph to catch me. You will LOVE drag radials...my vote is for BFG

I personally think you should buy a spare set of 15in aluminum drag wheels w/ ET slicks for the rear and just bolt them on whenever you are at the track. Then, just buy a decent set of all season tires for year round use on the street and dont worry about street racing. Keep it at the track.

However, if you want the best of both worlds, I guess Nitto and BFG are the way to go. The Nitto 555R DR's will last longer than the BFG's but give less traction. If you still have the stock 17x8 wheels, a set of 275/40/17 DRs will be good for street/strip use.

Dark Knight GT said:
However, if you want the best of both worlds, I guess Nitto and BFG are the way to go. The Nitto 555R DR's will last longer than the BFG's but give less traction. If you still have the stock 17x8 wheels, a set of 275/40/17 DRs will be good for street/strip use.

Do people usually get all 4 tires or just the back 2? Any ways I raced another Gt that had the Nitto's and he put a good 3 car lengths on me, I was surpirsed at how fast he launched. He even kept up with a WRX off the line.

blk2003GT said:
Do people usually get all 4 tires or just the back 2? Any ways I raced another Gt that had the Nitto's and he put a good 3 car lengths on me, I was surpirsed at how fast he launched. He even kept up with a WRX off the line.

Usually they get a set of 4. That way, they can keep them balanced and rotated the same as any other set of tires.