Tires

Focker '67

I'll say it again - You have a '67!!! You have all kinds of room and added adjustment to make the issues less of a factor. Unlike yours, the early cars don't even have adjustable strut rods or eccentrics. The only alignment adjustments are basically the tie rods and shims for the upper control arms. Your car also has track that is 2.1 inches wider. Apples to oranges.

• Sponsors (?)

i agree having seen the under side if this 65 coupe i don't think it would be good on it to have bigger tires and wheels maybe a 205 maybe a 215 60 or 65 thats it ,, i think thats what he is going to but this has been a good topic to talk about

I think the whole idea of NOT throwing a set of at least 225/60's in the rear is absurd.

I can understand going with a 205 or 215 in the front, as they are both still small.

I'm not sure how a tire larger than a 195 will stick out of the wheel well, as that would make an abnormally small wheel well.

My suggestion, 225/60/14 rear, 205/65/14 fronts, all in BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. Cheap, easy, no problem.

Oh and BTW, I run original Ford Magnum 500 14 inch rims, with a set of 275/55/14 Hoosier Quick Time D.O.T.'s in the rear and a set of 225/65/14's in the front. No rubbing, no problems with steerings, and a nice ride... but then again I've got a 70 :)

351carlo said:
I think the whole idea of NOT throwing a set of at least 225/60's in the rear is absurd.

I can understand going with a 205 or 215 in the front, as they are both still small.

I'm not sure how a tire larger than a 195 will stick out of the wheel well, as that would make an abnormally small wheel well.

My suggestion, 225/60/14 rear, 205/65/14 fronts, all in BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. Cheap, easy, no problem.

Oh most definitely there wouldn't be a problem in the rear, provided his wheels aren't absurdly skinny (which is unlikely), as I believe he wants to keep his current wheels.

As far as the tires sticking out of the wheel well, it's really only an issue up front if you need to go to wider wheels due to much wider than stock tires. Again, no room for backspace.

Focker67 said:

Simply stating his father would most likely prefer to see him rebuild his suspension before just throwing some tires on it.

Just a word of advice from a fellow young stanger.... I'm only about 3k in debt, with a total investment of approximately 11k. Sure, my car is quick, fun and clean, but I could've waited and made better choices. Wait until you have cash to do things right the first time around.

351carlo said:

Oh and BTW, I run original Ford Magnum 500 14 inch rims, with a set of 275/55/14 Hoosier Quick Time D.O.T.'s in the rear and a set of 225/65/14's in the front. No rubbing, no problems with steerings, and a nice ride... but then again I've got a 70 :)

Well the problem with this is hes on a budget. I know the tires are cheap easy and simple but when it comes time to rotate them you can only go from side to side and not front to back they way you should rotate them.

well i got almost 8 grand into mine. orginally bought it for 3800.

the car isnt a concours car by all means. its here to be enjoyed and have fun when you want to. my tires are bald, causing traction on wet roads to be well...dangerous. i jsut want to be able to jump in and drive it!

plus, new tires means i can burn the old ones off and make some nice videos!

351carlo said:
Simply stating his father would most likely prefer to see him rebuild his suspension before just throwing some tires on it.

Just a word of advice from a fellow young stanger.... I'm only about 3k in debt, with a total investment of approximately 11k. Sure, my car is quick, fun and clean, but I could've waited and made better choices. Wait until you have cash to do things right the first time around.
I thought he was talking about me........I would rather be in debt and drive a safer car, but I would never recommend anyone young get in debt.

wel i called my local tire guy who works at S&S tire, and he suggested a 225/60 and nothin more, nothin less..

what you think? i know there are gonna be some who say go ahead and some disagree but what should i really do?

65 fastback said:
I say put some 225/60/14's on the back and some 205 or 215/60/14's up front.
Tim

cobains_dad said:
I don't think it would be good on it to have bigger tires and wheels maybe a 205 maybe a 215 60 or 65 thats it

351carlo said:

I'm not going to quote myself (I think you know I'm in agreement with these guys). It appears that the majority would suggest the 225s are fine in the back, but going beefier than 205 (215 at the YERY most) up front wouldn't produce the most desireable performance and/or reliability of your stock components. And I think you are done working on that steering for awhile!

cobains_dad said:
hey krash what do you have on yours, you may have have told us, but i didn't catch it . i see you have a 65 coupe also.
p.s. i agree 215 is the largest i would go too .

I just got a new pair of Riken 195/70/14 classics last week for the front. They were a huge inprovement over the 235s I had on wider mags for the last couple months. I just couldn't deal with the bumpsteer and excessive tire wear anymore. I've run a variety of sizes on the rear. I have a '69 nine inch that has a wider track so my rear wheels have more backspace to keep them under the wheelwells. This opens up a few more options widthwise, but I have to use factory wheel covers untill I can afford latemodel wheels and spacers for the front. I haven't set that in stone though, as I do like the stock covers with whitewalls

Cobain03 said:
wel i called my local tire guy who works at S&S tire, and he suggested a 225/60 and nothin more, nothin less..

what you think? i know there are gonna be some who say go ahead and some disagree but what should i really do?

Like you I was advised to go with the 225/60 max But I wanted the meat in the back so I went with 235/60 on all four. now I have bump steer. should have ,could have, would have. Didnt now I am kinda wishing I did. but I am not 15 with a budget. when they wear I will go smaller until I get the feel I am comfortable with. and as far as people rotating there tires. If you want to save your self money in the long run you will. rotating tires save on.
1 tire cost.
2 front end wear.
3 better control.
They recommend tire rotation for a reason. some will say to make money but a good tire guy offers this for free with the purches of the tires.

iskwezm said:
People still rotae tires?????? :rlaugh:

hehe...I'm running directional tires on my car.....in different sizes front to back....what the heck does roatate mean unless I am driving ;)

Only comment I make is......any car you own no matter when it was made and what tires you run, will wear out its front end components faster if you turn the wheel while the car is not moving. No if an no nors or buts.

I run 245s on the front of my 65 with a manual 16:1 box and a 351 cleveland in the front. You put the car in drive/reverse start rolling and then turn the wheel. Works the same for parrallel parking. People who stop, turn the wheel to right lock, then drive, then stop, then turn the wheel to right lock need help. :D

Cobain03 said:

225 60 will rub unless you are running a 15x7 with 4.25 backspacing. Most people with 15s end up with 3.75 backspacing from american racing and even 215 60 15s rub for many of them on the fender lips.

on edit - my bad looks like you have 14 inch rims....what size 14s?

dodgestang said:
hehe...I'm running directional tires on my car.....in different sizes front to back....what the heck does roatate mean unless I am driving ;)

Only comment I make is......any car you own no matter when it was made and what tires you run, will wear out its front end components faster if you turn the wheel while the car is not moving. No if an no nors or buts.

I run 245s on the front of my 65 with a manual 16:1 box and a 351 cleveland in the front. You put the car in drive/reverse start rolling and then turn the wheel. Works the same for parrallel parking. People who stop, turn the wheel to right lock, then drive, then stop, then turn the wheel to right lock need help. :D
:hail2: you are correct sir

Regarding "bumpsteer" -
Tires do NOT cause bumpsteer! Good sticky tires may make the bumpsteer more noticable, but they do NOT cause it.
Bumpsteer is "toe change during suspension travel". If you have toe change after a tire swap, you had it before the tire swap as well. :rolleyes: Don't blame the tires for bad suspension geometry.