Tires

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Haha well I've convinced my parents that my tires slide too much in the rain so I get two free rear tires!!! CHA-CHING
Anyway I have 17x9's in the back i'm pretty sure.
Would 255x45x17 work?

• Sponsors (?)

the middle number is the aspect ratio. it is a percentage of how wide the tire is, pretty much says how tall the sidewall is. 275 is max i would go on a 9in wheel. anything else will hang over the edge and look gay. what kind of wheels do you have?

bimmertech said:
the middle number is the aspect ratio. it is a percentage of how wide the tire is, pretty much says how tall the sidewall is. 275 is max i would go on a 9in wheel. anything else will hang over the edge and look gay. what kind of wheels do you have?

I have 03 cobras i'm pretty sure that they are 17x9.5. Should I go with like 265/45/17

I dont want that tall of a tire cause i dont want decreased acceleration lol.

stprorolla49 said:
they are 17x9, and i wouldn't get 265...just get a set of 275/40/17 kuhmo ecsta supras....my buddy had em on his 98 gt and loved em :nice:
:stupid:
that seems to be the norm on 17x9's. although ford puts 255's on a 17x9(95 cobra r's) 275's on the 03/04 cobra, and 265's on a 18x9.5(00 cobra r). as with all factory stuff there is always room for improvement.

BTW, you can't base the sidewall height strictly on the "middle number". Depending on the width of the tires compared, a "higher" number doesn't always indicate a "taller" tire. As bimmer mentioned previously, it is a percentage. Hope that will help in your decision.

SeventyMach1 said:
BTW, you can't base the sidewall height strictly on the "middle number". Depending on the width of the tires compared, a "higher" number doesn't always indicate a "taller" tire. As bimmer mentioned previously, it is a percentage. Hope that will help in your decision.
word :nice:

a 275/40 is pretty close to height to a 255/45

I can get the formula to figure it out if you want

Get some 275 nittos, screw the rain, my nittos work fine in the rain and i have 4.30 gears :)

wouldnt wider tires be worse in the rain? That would mean more contact patch, which would mean that the water would have less places to leave the tire, which would be MORE dangerous. And BTW you drive a mustang, and mustangs have torque, you're never going to have "good" traction in the rain, i have to baby my car a lot in the rain.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, 275/40/17.

I have them in 315/35's on the rear an my car seemed very safe in the rain the two times I've had it in the rain with the 418. With the stock 5.0 I had no problems at all in the rain.

They're a little pricey at around $240 for one 275/45(price last year, could have dropped since then), but it's well worth it IMHO.