Tis about time.... rebuild questions.

gcomfx.com said:
I talked to Don a few months ago. He said he could arrange to meet up in St. Louis if need be. But honestly, this is my baby, so I have no problems going all the way to him to get this done right. There is really NO ONE in my area that I've had recommendations about.

Basically it'll be his call. If he has something setup already, I might try to hit that date. However my job doesn't allow me to just take off whenever. Plus, I have a feeling I will need more attention than a group dyno day type situation usually gives. Down here, they load you on, run you three times, and kick you off. :shrug:

I know ALOT of people who would want to if anything pick his ear and/or get him to work on some stuff, There is ALOT of compitition on dynos out here...like 3-4 dyno shops within a 5min drive that run SCT. one with a dyno setup that simulates ALL kinds of conditions, and two others...one of who is the Apten guy who ports the eatons for the 03's (one of the best porters in the nation...) but if Don is coming to run his dyno you will be better off with Don's help...prob. teach a few things to the owners who use the SCT stuff as well. Most if not all of the shops would prob. use Don as a marketing thing to show how good they are and quality of work...I dont think 3pulls and done would be the case. The shop with that all kinds of conditions dyno is REALLY picky and dedicated they are also on our local website.

If Don does want to meet up in St. Louis, I know Jon Lund has come around a few times to do "group" tunes for a day to two for about 12 or so cars, check out the stlmustangs.com website (not advertising) for any other local intrest. Just trying to sweetin' Dons pot and if anything hang out with other mustang guys dur. the day for those that show up.

• Sponsors (?)

gcomfx.com said:
I've read the big debate on the 331 vs 347. To be honest I was considering the 331 over the 347 for the sheer fact I know I'll spray the engine. Little bit more mass in the block.

Guess a girdle would be a good idea too. LOL
331's and 347's have the same bore, just a different stroke. They are both bored .030 over from the stock bore.

What's a stock block worth that's already bored and has a crank turned for a 331 setup?

Since I'm basically replacing EVERY part in the engine... this would allow me to sell the stock engine as it is, and get the build already started on the new engine, then pull one and swap in the other in one w/e.

:shrug:

Parts have been ordered. Track Heat kit and stage 2 cam are on the way to the builder. I bought the 331 crank (not forged), rods, and bored block from a friend. My builder ordered the correct forged probe pistons and a DSS girdle. Plus the new balancer and a butt load of other stuff.

Guess it's time to start on his website. :)

The ball is now rolling! Can't wait, can't wait!

On a side note... somehow I timed this perfect. Drove the stang the other night (super nice evening, weather wise) and the power is about gone. It still runs good, but I can feel the power loss growing each month. She's done as far as racing goes.

Still not sure if I'll sell the old engine or keep it. Garage space is limited.

Just glad this project is underway!

do you still plan to use the juice on your new combo?

don't be shy on the pics.

cant wait to see your new numbers with an aode.

Absolutely... just not sure how much juice yet. I think I'll run out of injector before I get to the 125 shot.

I should be able to take pics at the engine builders shop on New Years. He should get all the parts the day after Christmas. He's aprox. 2.5 hours from me, so I doubt I'll get any pics of the internals.

But I'll definitely be taking pics of the swap. Still have to figure out if I want to reuse my timing cover or not. Ours is specific to 94-95 right? So I doubt it'll be worth anything if I sell the stock engine. And I don't really want to buy an extra.

Also, I guess I'll need a new flexplate? Since the new engine is 28oz.

My battery relocation kit will be here tomorrow. I've got the cherry picker and engine stand sitting and ready. Should be a fun winter project. :nice:

Now it's just waiting on my engine builder to get it all put together. :D

Yeah, post plenty of pics! This is gonna be fun! How long do you think it will be now, to get the engine back?

I should know more of a schedule by New Years. Still waiting on a lot of parts to show up. :D

Plus a friend of mine is going to freshen up my tranny while it's out. While it's not really necessary, it'll be easier now than ever.

I have big hopes and low expectations for this project. Big hope is that it doesn't break. Expectations are pretty mild on how I want it to perform at the track.

After talking to Don....

42lbers and Lightning M/A on the way. Going to order a chip and Wideband from him. See how good he is at guessing a start up tune. LOL

Hopefully after break-in and some drive time I can just drive the car to Ohio and let him tweak from there. Might be cheaper to tow it though. HAHA

We are all still recovering from that terrible ice storm, but the block has been cleaned up, repainted.

engine.jpg

The Pistons took FOREVER to come in. But they are here now and it's off to balancing.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 55